$1,000 for taped up flask?.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggerdirect

Reaction score
My rule of thumb for rare bottles that are glue backs or damaged is roughly 10% of a good one, (not carved in stone but a starting point) as long as they are complete. I sold a green Old Homestead bitters that was brought back to life from about a dozen pieces, it brought about a tenth of what a whole one would have at that time, a nice lockport green conucopia/urn pint with a blob type top I dug that was glued back from four pieces also rung in at about 10% of an identical near mint example I sold through the GlassWorks Auction at the time. (late 80's early 90's, it made the cover of that auction catalog!) and I've dug quite a few rare or atleast desireable bottles over the years that were broken or damaged which sold right along that pricing range.

In my opinion just the rarity of this flask somewhat overides its incomplete condition.

I figure digging bottles is like my logging business, I wish all the logs were veneer, however many have to go for pallet logs, some even firewood. I wouldn't dream of wasting them, they are what they are, most still sell &/or someone can use them, and the proceeds cover gas, lunch... or beer money. [:D]

If that was my flask I'd dug I would have No problem displaying it, quite proudly in fact, but as far as pricing it, I'd throw it out there & let the market determine what its worth, or if money wasn't a factor donate it to someone/some place who appreciates it & preserves it for future generations.

Al

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
throw it out there & let the market determine what its worth

That seems like the most reasonable method ..but all people are not reasonable[;)]

Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat.
Mark Twain

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1