1 of a kind bottle!! is it true??? or myth???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I love embossed BIM beverage bottles as much as anyone, and I have a few 'only knowns' myself, but I can't believe only one was ever made, it takes too much to produce a slug plate just to make one bottle, and a private mold would be even more extravagant for a single serving. The possibility does exist that there are 'only surviving examples' of a bottle like this, albeit a very slight one. My guess is the absolute minimum order was one gross (144) for a production run and I suspect if anyone could do that small scale of a job it was Karl Hutter.. so, in most cases, if you have the only one, it's just a matter of time before someone digs up another, or worse.. runs across a case of them.. [;)]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
every free blown bottle is unique.
Chances are,if its blown in a mold , its not unique (except for maybe having some weird color scheme).

Aphrodite isnt roman,she's greek and not a myth[;)] Venus would be the Roman equivalent.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
1 of a kind bottle!! is it true??? or myth???
It depends on who's selling it. All bottles are one of a kind, at least in molecular structure. Some bottles were only blown an a one off for special occasions but very few. Most were at least semi mass produced but may not have been found yet in a quantity. Some never existed at all but that's hypothetical, they may be out there.
Anyway I agree with some, disagree with some others. [:D]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The term "only known example" could be applied to a few bottles, but you have to be careful throwing it around carelessly.
And "only known example" is a lot different than "only example produced" or "the only example. We never know what is yet to be found.

NyDigger1

Reaction score
I have two bottles that are certified and confirmed only to exist.

The Colonial bottling being one of them since its a mistake in embossing and should be colonial brewing (and ive seen the brewing examples around) not colonial bottling.

The other is a dairy from brooklyn with the N in brooklyn embossed backwards. And again, Ive seen the correct examples around as well.

surfaceone

Reaction score
"Unique," in my opinion, is a better word.

unique.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
I concur with the unique freeblown thinking.

I think I could make a case for some unique stoneware pieces.

188869778092892459_vVtLo0C0_b.jpg

"An Exceptional Cobalt Blue Slip Decorated Ovoid Stoneware Jug with a Balloon Ascension Motif circa 1835–55. The unique subject may commemorate the historically significant 350-mile flight of Richard Clayton who ascended from the Cincinnati, Ohio Amphitheater in April 1835 and landed 9-1/2 hours later in Monroe County, Virginia breaking the world record for the farthest distance traveled in a balloon." From.

Erik T

Reaction score
Its kind of a "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it make sound? type question=The tree falling creates waves of high and low pressure that can only be considered sound if the waves of varying air pressure are interpreted by an artificial or organic 'ear,' if the waves of pressure is interpreted by an 'ear' it is not sound.

Therefore "is a bottle truly one-of-a-kind?"=There may be other bottles, but they have yet to be found. So if yours has been recognized as being one of a kind and the others remain unrecognized/not found it is one-of-a-kind.

However according to this theory it would be almost impossible to tell if they were "truly one-of-a-kind" unless you knew the exact locations of all the bottles ever made discovered and not.

I apologize for the crappy analogy but I was never good at english nor poetry therefore I stick to science. [:D]

-Erik

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Erik T

Its kind of a "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it make sound? type question=The tree falling creates waves of high and low pressure that can only be considered sound if the waves of varying air pressure are interpreted by an artificial or organic 'ear,' if the waves of pressure is interpreted by an 'ear' it is not sound.

Therefore "is a bottle truly one-of-a-kind?"=There may be other bottles, but they have yet to be found. So if yours has been recognized as being one of a kind and the others remain unrecognized/not found it is one-of-a-kind.

However according to this theory it would be almost impossible to tell if they were "truly one-of-a-kind" unless you knew the exact locations of all the bottles ever made discovered and not.

I apologize for the crappy analogy but I was never good at english nor poetry therefore I stick to science. [:D]

-Erik
Hey you got that right Erik!! Nobody crazy enough to order or make a mold (which is not cheap) just to blow a single bottle!!
I personally have 3 1 of a kind case gin bottles, but I prefer to say it that I have 3 unique (1 of a kind) case gin so far!! The rest is just sitting or buried or sunk somewhere & they just waiting to be found!! in short we just not find the rest of'em yet.

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

my personal opinion THERE IS NO SUCH THING it's simply a myth like Aphrodite, Artemis, Hera, Hestia.
well what about you....

Hey Leonard,

What are you saying about Aphrodite, now...

botticelli_birth_of_venus.gif

I always believed in beauty...

360px-The_Birth_of_Venus_by_William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_(1879).jpg
She is HOT!! [sm=tongue.gif][sm=tongue.gif][sm=tongue.gif][sm=tongue.gif]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn