1800's ? >Stoneware Jug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dugbottles

Reaction score
I just got this stoneware jug from a friends burn the burn dates back to the med 1700's .The Jug has what I think is a spout hole on the bottom but here is where I have no clue on the base there are many holes and with a close look at the holes it appears that when the jug was made that's when the holes where made .My question is what was this jug used for and why is there holes in the bottom also can some one give me a date ?I just got this today there is a #2 on the jug's shoulder .

001-300x225.jpg

002-300x225.jpg

003-300x225.jpg

005-300x225.jpg

006-300x225.jpg

007-300x225.jpg

008-300x225.jpg

009-300x225.jpg

0101-300x225.jpg

011-300x225.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
I've never seen one with the holes in the bottom but it has me thinking chicken feeder or waterer... Hopefully someone knows.

Dugbottles

Reaction score
I was think of water also but 1 its heavy and 2 the water would come out as soon as it was added and chicken feed would clog .I also was thinking that it could have been a bird house but the hole is placed to close to the bottom so im hoping some here that knows much about stoneware can also help me date the jug Thanks epackage for your response

Plumbata

Reaction score
Do the holes in the bottom pass all the way through?

If not, then I'd guess that they were placed there to assist in the cooling of the liquid intended to be dispensed. Using the evaporation of a negligible portion of the liquid to keep the temperature down was common practice back in the day, but regarding your specific piece all i can do is speculate.

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I have seen pieces like this before, though not exactly. Typically used at either strainers, or leaching pots in an industrial or chemical application. With yours, liquids could have been directed into the mouth, strained through the bottom, and residues then disposed of via the side hole. Or it could have sat over a drain, with the liquids entering via the side hole, draining out the bottom, sort of like a crap catcher.
Or the reverse, as a material could be added via the bottom hole, and a liquid from the top, with the result draining out the bottom.
Some things come to mind, soap making, dye making......a very interesting piece.

Dugbottles

Reaction score
Thanks NYCFLasks for your input I plan to list this jug and am trying to get a better description so every one input will be a great help .The Money I receive will be donated to the running of this excellent site

sandchip

Reaction score
I guess it could be used as a sprinkler if you cork the top, fill through the side, cork the side, hold upright by the handle, and uncork the top.

Dugbottles

Reaction score
NYCFlasks
I have seen pieces like this before, though not exactly. Typically used at either strainers, or leaching pots in an industrial or chemical application. With yours, liquids could have been directed into the mouth, strained through the bottom, and residues then disposed of via the side hole. Or it could have sat over a drain, with the liquids entering via the side hole, draining out the bottom, sort of like a crap catcher.
Or the reverse, as a material could be added via the bottom hole, and a liquid from the top, with the result draining out the bottom.
Some things come to mind, soap making, dye making......a very interesting piece.

< Message edited by NYCFlasks -- 2/10/2013 9:15:04 PM >

So would you think that the # 2 that is on the jug was a type of step process meaning that jug #1 was used then #2 and so on

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960