1930's school bottle dump?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Is it worth it? What bottles could I possible find from a rural 30's school house that would be of value? Swiz

bubbas dad

Reaction score
swizzle
i don't know what kind of bottles you prefer to collect but i would think it was worth the effort. from i understand many dumps may containe older bottles mixed in with them as people would clean up and sometimes throw out old bottles and jars of stuff that had been around a long time.
john

swizzle

Reaction score
The property across the road from the school use to be a blacksmith shop but I can't find any evidence of the older dump. I know the area is plentiful in stonewalls but I only know of 2 dumps in the area and both are 1920's to 30's and newer. The blacksmith shop dates back to the 1800's but I'm not sure how far back. I really wish I knew how to locate the older dumps. Its been driving me nuts for a few years now. Swiz

swizzle

Reaction score
Just got back from a dig at the old school dump. The probe I have is 2 and a half feet long. I don't think I really need it for this dump because it seems pretty shallow. The deepest I've dug cans and bottles from this dump is 9 inches to a foot. After that all I dig is a dirt, clay mix. I've probed most of the holes I've dug and don't hit any more cans or glass after a foot. This dump is approx. 20ft x 50ft. Its full of ash and rusty cans, barbed wire, and window pane glass. The ash piles are probably 2 to 3 feet high and I've probed as deep as I could and in multiple spots and only hit shallow tin and no glass. I did manage to find 2 marbles and a small spoon that broke when I tried to clean it off. I also got what I think is 2 older ink well bottles. Maybe 1940's to 50's. I'll take a sifter with my next time to try to find some more marbles. Swiz

swizzle

Reaction score
The one ink well is a Sheaffers Skrip inkwell. I can't tell what the other one is but I believe its newer, maybe 50's to 60's or newer. The school shut down in the 80's. My Mom said she used to dig inkwells over their several years back and she said that the Sheaffer's Skrip is the oldest one she's seen come out of there. That's what I've been looking for is some of them old inkwells. You gotta love it. Swiz

Bottleman

Reaction score
If you are digging at an old school dump and are finding a lot of inks, check and see if you have found any “school desk†inks. They are a funny shape and on the bottom they say For A Hole 1 ¾. That means that they would actually fit down in a wooden school desk. They also bring about $15-$20 on eBay. Here’s a pic of one. Have you found any there yet?

~~Tom

Bz77749.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77749.jpg
    Bz77749.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 71

swizzle

Reaction score
Nope nothing like that yet. The inkwells I found have the tops on them but they are unreadable and very badly corroded. Should I leave the tops on them or only if they are in good condition?

TomsNutt

Reaction score
Great info. and a great dig site. This is the stuff I really like to find sodas, milks, etc. I wish I was close I would love to join you. Good Luck on your finds!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey