A Break in the Rain

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi All,
I FINALLY had the chance to go for a dig this summer!My business partner,who is also my dig and dive partner,finally came back from a month's vacation on friday,allowing me a few days break from work.Of course,we have had gales and torrential rain all weekend![:'(]Except for about 4 hours after lunch Sunday.This was my break in the rain;
There are wood lands a 3 minute walk from my house containing a number of dumps,old quarries,lime kilns and house ruins,including one my father lived in as a boy in '30's and 40's.I haven't hit most of those dumps in many years.(I mean,they'll always be there,right?Huh!)At my father's old home Eric (my dig partner) and I dug the the privy about 3 years ago,the dump behind it was covered with wait-a-while vines.(an obnoxious,spiky vine that earned it's name![:mad:])Not having pruners,gloves,etc. we left it for another time.There was also a VERY large bougainvillea (aprx. 20'x20') that dad said his parents would throw the wardies(Codd's) so the kids couldn't get them.(Dad was one of those Codd-smashing kids in his youth!)Again,didn't have the neccesary equipment,next time!
Imagine my shock to find this swath of woods CLEARED and a construction site![:-]The only things still standing are the old slave quarters,welcoming arm staircase and the outhouse. The dump had been bulldozed and the contents shoved off a cliff into a quarry on the edge of the clearing.I raked the broken glass with my boot and it looks promising,BUT....Of course,today I'm thinking bougainvillea,so NO DIGGING EQUIPMENT![&o](But I'm going back reeeal soon!)
The said bougainvillea,on the edge of the cleared area,has now gotten HUGE with no more canopy to shade it.It's now about 800 SQUARE FEET and impenetrable!!The average 4 year old might sqiurm thru but certainly not yours truly!
While I'm trying to work my way around this thing the rain returns with a vengence.And we all know how us Kats don't like getting wet[>:]Now I'm trying to make cross-country and pick up a trail but the wait-a-while and poison ivy are confounding me at every turn[:mad:](Everybody seen that picture of that wet kitten with the pissed off look on it's face?Didn't have nothing me!)After about 45 minutes I see a trail and as I make for it down a bank I displaced some rocks- but one caught my eye-TOO round.
10 minutes later I'm home.Hot,wet,and nothing to show for my afternoon but lots of scratches,mosquito bites,.....and one common round stoneware ink!

At least the day wasn't a total loss![:D]

KAT

diginit

Reaction score
Sounds like a some of my hikes. It's 92 degrees here.Rain would be more than welcome. You had better get those bottles while you can. If it's a housing track, no tresspassing signs will be posted for liability purposes. We fence our sites and sometimes hire a night guard.Either way, If there are flagged stakes or open trenches, it IS private property. Keep your ears open while digging & good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75