First Privy Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
So I don't think the hole is much deeper than what I last posted. I say that because I've hit clay. It's near impossible to dig through and I can't stick the probe in the dirt but a couple inches. Any thoughts on this or what to do next? I'd say just fill it in now unless there's some last minute thing I should do just to be sure. No new bottles since I last posted but I cleaned them so I'll post a picture at some point. But it's warming up and I'm trying to fill in the hole before we need to cut the grass (definitely not trying to fill it in because the freezer is full of a body and I need to get rid of it soon.)
20240319_185223.jpg

Newtothiss

Reaction score
So I don't think the hole is much deeper than what I last posted. I say that because I've hit clay. It's near impossible to dig through and I can't stick the probe in the dirt but a couple inches. Any thoughts on this or what to do next? I'd say just fill it in now unless there's some last minute thing I should do just to be sure. No new bottles since I last posted but I cleaned them so I'll post a picture at some point. But it's warming up and I'm trying to fill in the hole before we need to cut the grass (definitely not trying to fill it in because the freezer is full of a body and I need to get rid of it soon.)
View attachment 253739
Try to see if you can dig past it. It could just be a level of clay?

hemihampton

Reaction score
I once poked threw a foot or 2 layer of clay at what I thought was the bottom one time & All heard & felt was crunchy glass below the clay, So dug threw the clay & sure enough a big pile of bottles under it. If you probe nothing under the bottom clay layer then probe sides of wall. if you feel nothing fill in & move on. from what I see I don't think you ever dug a privy, not sure you even dug a trash pit, just looks like a hole full of dirt. no insult intended. Leon.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
I once poked threw a foot or 2 layer of clay at what I thought was the bottom one time & All heard & felt was crunchy glass below the clay, So dug threw the clay & sure enough a big pile of bottles under it. If you probe nothing under the bottom clay layer then probe sides of wall. if you feel nothing fill in & move on. from what I see I don't think you ever dug a privy, not sure you even dug a trash pit, just looks like a hole full of dirt. no insult intended. Leon.
No insult taken. I'll probe it again to see if anything might be under it and might dig through it a little more. It's very possible that it was just dirt that they happened to throw some bottles into as it filled. It is kinda funny though that there were 2 bottles at the very bottom of the hole from what seemed to be about the same time period as the rest of the hole. Maybe at some point they filled in a low spot with dirt and just took advantage of the situation and dumped some trash in with it? There were other items like flower pots and shoes and some rusty cast iron skillets close to the surface so that causes me to think that it was more than just a hole full of dirt? Or maybe I'm completely wrong. This is my first time digging a privy or trash pit... although if it's neither does it still count as a first time? Lol. I've probed the wall some. I'll probe some more and see if anything feels/looks/sounds different. But you're probably right in that it is nothing special. Thanks for the help!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I must of missed the part where you found 2 bottles at the very bottom of hole? Leon.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
I must of missed the part where you found 2 bottles at the very bottom of hole? Leon.
Actually I missed that part lol sorry. The listerine was found a little above the bottom and there was a small broken one at the bottom along with the bottom of a big jar at about the same height as the Listerine. All ~1950s it looked.

I'm sure to someone experienced this sounds kind of like a cluster of information all in a random order that probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense (get it? Hole?) But I'm trying to piece it together to where it makes at least a little sense.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Actually I missed that part lol sorry. The listerine was found a little above the bottom and there was a small broken one at the bottom along with the bottom of a big jar at about the same height as the Listerine. All ~1950s it looked.

I'm sure to someone experienced this sounds kind of like a cluster of information all in a random order that probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense (get it? Hole?) But I'm trying to piece it together to where it makes at least a little sense.
I HATE random glass that lead to giant and fruitless holes...
Especially when it's hot out

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen