A collection of PDF''s. Manufactures and makers marks.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Rick & Carrie

May your bottles be unbroken, and the haul short.
Reaction score

Attachments

• FairmountGlass.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 235
  • MOther.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 148
  • WhitallTatum2.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
  • WhitallTatum1.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 171
  • MLogoTable.pdf
    273.8 KB · Views: 109
  • OwensIllinois2015.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 147
  • MarylandGlass.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
  • PierceGlass.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • NorthwesternGlass.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • LatchfordGlass.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 117

Rick & Carrie

Reaction score
A few more.

Attachments

• AnchorHocking.pdf
    993.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Hazel-Atlas.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 135
  • SummaryGuidetoDatingBottles.pdf
    797.1 KB · Views: 115
  • ArmstrongCork.pdf
    403.1 KB · Views: 112

Rick & Carrie

Reaction score
We did our "Homework". Now it's your turn. Just because it's machine made and mass manufactured doesn't mean it's worthless or of low value.

Bottles and makers marks are much like the year of production and mint mark on coins.

Some makers marks are rare.

Northwestern Glassworks is an excellent example. 90% of all known examples of the NW makers mark are from the bottoms of amber beer bottles. Other examples are very infrequent to rare according to the PDF on Northwestern Glassworks.

We hope that our research and quest for information will be appreciated by all here.

Sincerely;
Rick & Carrie
Antique & Historic Bottles, Jars and Glassware.

DavidW

Reaction score
Hi Rick & Carrie,
I'm not meaning to be argumentative at all (and I DO agree that glassmaker marks are VERY important and can help greatly with provenance and history of a bottle, and can make differences in the value of some bottles and jars), and I believe you are well-meaning, but I think it is rather odd that you posted attachments of the .pdf files (most or all have been available on the internet for several years) but you did not give any credit (or even a hint of an indication) as to who actually compiled the information and wrote the articles.

All of those articles were written by archeologist and glass manufacturing history researcher Bill Lockhart, along with information / input by a number of other researchers including Bill Lindsey, Peter Shultz, Beau Shriever, Carol Serr, Bob Brown, Jay Hawkins, Russ Hoenig and others, and (a few) with a tiny bit of feedback from myself (David Whitten).

None of those articles are a result of "your homework" or "your research". No offense intended at all, I just feel you should make it clear in your posts about who wrote those articles.

They are indeed a very good resource of background info on glass making and bottle manufacturers. And I am glad that you have saved them to this site. No one can know how long they will be saved at their current URLs, so this is good to have them indexed here and available for future research.

Last edited:

mrechenard

Reaction score
I think if you click on the PDFs attached the ppl who did the research are listed there. Everything can be found at sha.org and a general search of glass makers marks will bring up research pages. Following North American Glass auctions and Glass Works Auctions can avail much. I feel this person is trying to say they did their homework by educating themselves on the materials they have found. I can say that is refreshing that someone actually took the time to read something out there for a change.

Rick & Carrie

Reaction score
We did not claim authorship of any of those PDF's. We stated that it is "A Collection" of PDF's. Each PDF contains the authors name(s) and their resources. So why the discord? Nowhere did we claim to have wrote anything.

They are a collection of PDF's that we found on the internet due to our research of the makers marks on the items that we find.

Compile and post such as a single stop resource; absolutely, and do so without apology.

We will continue to post such PDF's to this thread as a public resource when we discover other PDF's covering the makers marks on what we find.

Furthermore; ... 23,622 members and we are the first to post such resources here?

And receive a reprimand from a contributor to one of the posted PDF's (for posting such without credits, but was complimented on it being a great post to make) yet such individual has not posted such resources here for research purposes. ... Head scratcher isn't it?

If there are other members here who have wrote PDF's on Makers Marks; it would be much appreciated by us all if you would post them here.

Last edited:

DavidW

Reaction score
We did not claim authorship of any of those PDF's. We stated that it is "A Collection" of PDF's. Each PDF contains the authors name(s) and their resources. So why the discord? Nowhere did we claim to have wrote anything.

They are a collection of PDF's that we found on the internet due to our research of the makers marks on the items that we find.

Compile and post such as a single stop resource; absolutely, and do so without apology.

We will continue to post such PDF's to this thread as a public resource when we discover other PDF's covering the makers marks on what we find.

Furthermore; ... 23,622 members and we are the first to post such resources here?

And receive a reprimand from a contributor to one of the posted PDF's (for posting such without credits, but was complimented on it being a great post to make) yet such individual has not posted such resources here for research purposes. ... Head scratcher isn't it?

If there are other members here who have wrote PDF's on Makers Marks; it would be much appreciated by us all if you would post them here.
Rick and Carrie, I only commented because the way your paragraph was worded seemed to imply the PDFs were created from your own research. Again, no offense intended. This is an example of why so many readers will refrain from posting anything on this site because they are afraid of blowback and creating a firestorm of controversy on anything (notice the "crickets" here?)

I only wrote my comment because I know for a fact that a good percentage of people will hurriedly read a post and jump to conclusions because of what is left unsaid. But, since you asked, my website (glassbottlemarks) discusses hundreds of makers marks and contains DOZENS of direct links that connect the reader to many of those very articles by Bill Lockhart et al. that are indexed on sha.org.

And, yes, there are also many links to those Makers Marks PDFs embedded on many of the thousands of threads on this website (antique-bottles.net). They have been posted many times (by many members of this site) over the last 15 or 20 years or so since this site has been online. But I suppose the articles had never been officially gathered together under one specific category of posts or "forum".

And, among the tens of thousands of comments on this site, yes I have posted and included many links to such PDF files and other pages with info on marks. Have you read all the comments on this site? So your statement that I "[have] not posted such resources here for research purposes" is incorrect.

In any case, here is a webpage with links to most (if not all) of those PDF articles gathered on one page. This page is written by collector and researcher Bill Lindsey:

Best regards to all!
David

Rick & Carrie

Reaction score
Rick and Carrie, I only commented because the way your paragraph was worded seemed to imply the PDFs were created from your own research. Again, no offense intended. This is an example of why so many readers will refrain from posting anything on this site because they are afraid of blowback and creating a firestorm of controversy on anything (notice the "crickets" here?)

I only wrote my comment because I know for a fact that a good percentage of people will hurriedly read a post and jump to conclusions because of what is left unsaid. But, since you asked, my website (glassbottlemarks) discusses hundreds of makers marks and contains DOZENS of direct links that connect the reader to many of those very articles by Bill Lockhart et al. that are indexed on sha.org.

And, yes, there are also many links to those Makers Marks PDFs embedded on many of the thousands of threads on this website (antique-bottles.net). They have been posted many times (by many members of this site) over the last 15 or 20 years or so since this site has been online. But I suppose the articles had never been officially gathered together under one specific category of posts or "forum".

And, among the tens of thousands of comments on this site, yes I have posted and included many links to such PDF files and other pages with info on marks. Have you read all the comments on this site? So your statement that I "[have] not posted such resources here for research purposes" is incorrect.

In any case, here is a webpage with links to most (if not all) of those PDF articles gathered on one page. This page is written by collector and researcher Bill Lindsey:

Best regards to all!
David
You are one of the experts that we have came across in our research of the makers marks on items we have found. If we have a PDF on it, then we have at least one item from that manufacturer. It is a pleasure to be able to actually chat with you. We have been to your site. We understand your knowledge base; and most likely will be asking you bottle and jar related questions in the future.

DavidW

Reaction score
You are one of the experts that we have came across in our research of the makers marks on items we have found. If we have a PDF on it, then we have at least one item from that manufacturer. It is a pleasure to be able to actually chat with you. We have been to your site. We understand your knowledge base; and most likely will be asking you bottle and jar related questions in the future.
Thanks Rick & Carrie!! I'm always glad when anyone shows interest in bottles, jars, or glass of any type, whether old, new or vintage! Take care!

Rick & Carrie

Reaction score
Thanks Rick & Carrie!! I'm always glad when anyone shows interest in bottles, jars, or glass of any type, whether old, new or vintage! Take care!
What year of production is this? The two digit code to the right seems to indicate 1924. Also, what type of jar is it? What was this type of jar used for?

Attachments

• 20231201_112812.jpg
    20231201_112812.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231201_112622.jpg
    20231201_112622.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 57

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members