A little Philly dig story!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
Heard thru the grapevine that there was a Privy opened up in the great city of philadelphia on a construction site.. so we went to investigate...

Got to the site to find it torn down and bricked over fenced off!! Now what to do.. 8 am no pit to dig.. We talk it over and off to another part of the city... we hike a couple of neighborhoods and find a good looking area.. Ask a local guy sitting on his stoop for permission and were in.. but can't find a pit in his small yard.. ( now we know where it is and it must have a giant arch over it too..) so we jump yard s to the abandoned house next door...

Bam we find a big ol brick liner.. open it up and find a huge arched top with 3 foot of air space.. ( I will have a pic of this when my diggin budy emails it !! )down we go.. I am in the pit and my fellow digger say we gotta go... trouble.. so we cover the pit with boards throw some dirt over it in hit the street.... Maybe another day!!!!

Not so good thus far... we cruise to anther neighborhood with an old permission where the pits go about 12 feet deep.. @ 11 am (raining hot n sticky) and figure we can dig it n be home for dinner!! Yeah right!!! we hit 12 feet still no layer still no bottom.. so we do what you should never ever do.. Lets half it down nice hard clay fill should hold up ok!!

Now we are halved down about 7 feet over the person in the pits head.. I watch in utter disbelife and scream LOOK OUT !!! as the halfed wall gives way and falls on my Digger buddy... some how it stayed in one piece and just pushed him against the wall.. How lucky is that!! ( Note never dig half over your head) The guys next door building a foundation tell us we are LOCO and hope we get paid a lot for what we do!!! HA!!!!!!

I really thought we were gonna make the news... We pull him out take a break regroup and go back down to pull out all the cave in @ 18 feet deep now its 7 pm Do you know where your digger buddies are !!! We clean it out and go 22 feet with a layer of maybe 2 feet and pull some meds a couple smooth base suaces a hazzard drug store squat shaped bottle and in the last little section some english fruit bottles... And lastly A quart A.R.S quart fruit jar with a kline stopper Plus some other philly local bottles!!!!

Fill it in and home by midnite!!!

We return Sunday 7 am to the trouble pit remove the boards and dig down to about 14 feet the probe telling us there is layer @ 18 Minding our own biz being very quiet.. in an abondoned area.. and we hear hey boys!! The neighbors say there is something wierd going on back here !! Pack it in and level Your dirt off... NO WAY not again!!! Board dirt on top here we go again!! Some day we will get to the bottom of this pit!!

24C379A7E3274C1A806996E945C00BBC.jpg

Attachments

• 24C379A7E3274C1A806996E945C00BBC.jpg
    24C379A7E3274C1A806996E945C00BBC.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 51

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
Last one Dig pics to follow soon!!

DDF331BF4D6C40C380BDAFA15C4EEAA5.jpg

Attachments

• DDF331BF4D6C40C380BDAFA15C4EEAA5.jpg
    DDF331BF4D6C40C380BDAFA15C4EEAA5.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 49

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
That sounds stressful dude.I need to relax and have a glass of lemon aid with the neighbors [:D] Glad you guys got some bottles.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That sums up digging in NJ pretty good... nothing is pretty here, even the pits are the pits, but keepers are keepers! ..man John that's a great story.. I am glad you digging buddy is OK!!!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Great story, sounds like alot of days I have spent digging. Thanks for the cave in story, I need a reminder to not do that stupid crap sometimes. I have a bad habit of halving holes and know better. How good is that A.R.S. jar? Never seen one.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
The Adam R. Samuels Philadelphia Jar is not really common and came with either a Kline stopper or Willoughby stopper.. dates to arouind 1859.. red book shows it as 100-125 with the kline stopper that i also dug in the same hole.. and add 150.00 to 200.00 for the iron Willoughby stopper.. Was the first pit not to be pontiled in this area... I was glad to get it (seeing I collect jars and the 2 other diggers don't) in the pic as it was a tuff day digging with little to show for it!!!

Rick as for being friendly to the neighbors the one to the left gave us permission to dig his lot and the lady next to that just told us we are crazy.. The one house right next to the privy pit say 2 feet away I think is the problem and they won't talk to us.. probaly think were under mining thier house... and then across the bacl lots there is redevolpment high dollar housing so it could be from there also as they have the birds eye view of the action!!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter