My first Bottle find of the Year. March 2024.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Weather was about 60 & Sunny today so poked around a old spot which is pretty much done, stick a fork in it. BUT, The probe was about 3 feet down when it felt like it hit a bottle. SO, I dug to end of probe & found this bottle. Bixby Mucilage shoe polish or ink. Patent 1883. Didn't find anything else near it, always seems odd to find one bottle by itself 3 feet down. once found a bottle like 7 feet down by itself? how & why did it get there. Only did a small test hole, notice all the dang roots around, I hate roots. Leon.
P1050850.JPG
P1050851.JPG
P1050852.JPG
P1050857.JPG
P1050858.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
about 8 or 10 years ago only 2 feet away, I dug a older 1870's to 80's Privy that even had a couple of open pontiled puff slicks. Dug 4 Killer Privy's in a row next to this spot 10 years ago. 3 of them pictured here. Leon.
P1050885.JPG
TominHole.JPG
P1050890.JPG

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Nice find! Always weird to find one by itself - maybe just got tossed off to the side alone for some reason.

Hoping to get back out soon - we're just reaching the low-mid 40s up here in Maine, but plenty of rain this week will soften up the frozen ground.

TexasRancher

Reaction score
Wow...cool find Leon I like when dates, even patents, are on the bottle

TexasRancher

Reaction score
I've dug out and around a lot of roots for coins....roots are rough. I've grinded my bladed shovel's edge to near razor sharp to jump and cut through any 3" or less roots. Roots slow the process but all good things are laced with hardwork and patience...else we wouldn't appreciate the find as much. Love how that bottle was below and entrapped in roots...makes for a great memory...versus digging in a bank's sandy loose soil 4 inches and having it roll out. That's a hell of a great hole you dug there...i can appreciate your due diligence.

Wallaman

Reaction score
Hi Leon. I live in a rural area and there was a old farm house foundation probably from late 1800's or early 1900's. How would I know where to look for and find the privy pits? I am currently in the process of digging up the old 10 foot diameter brick lined cistern with my bobcat. I am down approximately 4 feet so far and haven't found anything of value. I will have to dig a fifty or sixty foot runway to reach what I've heard could possibly be a 20 foot depth. I am physically handicapped so I am unable to dig with a shovel. I am supposed to be getting rid of all my bottles so my wife will kill me.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen