a pair of aqua and amber fire grenades on Ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Arob

Reaction score
Is it cool to promote eBay sales here? These are cool bottles.
RARE AMBER FIRE GRENADE BOTTLES ON EBAY
$%28KGrHqJ,%21lIE3NS5LMegBOI4MTeb1%21%7E%7E0_3.JPG

They are fire grenades, and usually kept by the furnace or fireplace in early homesteads.
These are a pair because, although different colours they are both the same patent
the amber is embossed with the patent information,
PATENT NOV 28, 1884
the aqua bottle is now a sheertop while the amber bottle retains some of its glass lip.

What was the liquid inside a fire grenade?
i love chemistry and i read that early on, "Various fluids have been used in the grenade and the most effective was found to be carbon tetrachloride. It was discovered that the carbon tetrachloride, when inhaled, caused respiratory problems and the liquid was then changed to salt water."

$%28KGrHqIOKioE31J%281hhOBOI4Mq8z,%21%7E%7E0_3.JPG

The bidding on the auction starts at 99 cents.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I think the correct forum would be ...
Current Auctions and Sales
Seen an interesting bottle on eBay or an auction somewhere? Maybe you made the find of the decade or dicovered a scam - here is the place to tell others or seek information.

but not a big deal, antique-bottles.net is pretty accepting about what and where people post.
I'm assuming they are not you items? Some interesting glass.

I think the statement about the contents may be backwards. From what I have read the earlier grenades contained salt water to prevent freezing. I dont think carbon tetrachloride grenades were used until after the turn of the 20th century. Carbon tet was used at least up to the 1960s. Grenades were commonly used in early hotels where fires were a big problem causing a lot of deaths.

Arob

Reaction score
You're probably right. I cut and pasted that text byte off the back end of the target eBay auction sale,
it's in the third paragraph in this article entitled ,
Antique Fire Grenade Bottles By Maureen Timm
As seen in The Antique Shoppe Newspaper, July 2008
These people who write these articles, they often haven't a clue what they're talking about.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Carbon Tet was invented early in the 19th century but I dont think they had efficient methods to produce it until around 1900.
Too bad it was suspected of being incompatible with humans as it is a great non-polar solvent.
One neat trait of Carbon Tet is it has the same index of refraction as pyrex glass. If you drop a pyrex item in CCl4 it will disappear

Arob

Reaction score
That is neat. I love chemistry too.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen