A pair of Weiss Eagles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Yeah we all have our stories to tell I am sure. As for the waiting it has paid off with 3 of my bottles in my collection. I am also with you I would love to dig the bottles in my collection but I have no digs around here that I can dig........ legally that is. As for the Carson's from Danville I was gonna bid on the 2 of them on EBay but had basketball and when I got home they had already ended so that stunk. BTW congrats on your new colored medicines.
ORIGINAL: DruggistBottles

Bottleworm,

I think we all have some kind of story about one that got away. For some reason we don't act and regret it later. I saw a rare St. Louis Bitters in a shop in Kentucky once. The price was good if it was a common bitters. But the bottle was clear and for some reason I held off. Well I did not collect Bitters was one reason. Later I asked someone and they told me they are rare and go for over $300. Oh well.

Be patient and I am sure you will find a nice colored druggist and a pontiled soda. They are around. Hold off if the price seems too high. I have seen many go high one time then a year or two later can be found a lot more reasonably. I am holding off on a colored St. Louis druggist right now because the price seems too high to me. Even though it is the first one of that name I have seen. I think one has to be careful with rarity. Most bottles were made in the hundreds and thousands. There is always a chance more may turn up. Personally I prefer to dig or trade for bottles. The less money involved the better. I don't think I could relax if I ever paid $1,000 for a bottle and had it sitting on a shelf. But then I have a cat. I think I would be ok with a $1,000 bottle I had dug on a shelf. But then... I am still waiting on digging one of those.

I am pretty sure I do have one duplicate green Illinois druggist (a Danville Carson's). Once I get around to inventorying my Illinois druggist I will let you know. Maybe we can work something out.

DruggistBottles

Reaction score

Someday I plan to do postings for each state calling for people to show druggist bottles. I have been waiting until I had time to set up a better way to take pictures of mine.

I have been working on inventorying them all this year. I am up to 435 druggists bottles so far. I know I have at least 150 more boxed up. Maybe this fall I will start posting some pictures on the forum. However, I have already posted many of the better ones.

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

According to my list I have a "THE OWL DRUG STORE / RAY & OSMERS, PROPS / LEWISTON, IDAHO" it has an owl on moon graphic. I am still looking for a colored druggist and a territorial one (assuming either exists). I like to get reference books when they come out for different states to see if I can even find some that match what I am looking for. I believe I have some other Idaho bottles that just have plain text. These I have not inventoried yet.

I use to have a black glass cylinder with the following etched in its side "FORT / SHERMAN / IDAHO-TERR. / 1878 - 95". I figured some soldier made it as a survivor. Unfortunately I sold it at a Federation auction to pay for a laptop back in 2008. The stupid laptop died two week after the 1 year warrantee went out. I wish I had that and the other bottles I sold back.
I appreciate your response Bill. I have a few Coeur d' Alene Pharms, 1 duplicate if you are ever interested. I am MORE than willing to help research what is available from IDAHO if you want. I have an older (1996) inventory list of known IDAHO bottles and several contacts. Let me know what you would like to know. The Lewiston OWL is a very desirable Idaho bottle bring pretty high prices when available.

I can tell you now that there are darn few, if any, COLORED pharms, few pictorial and not many overall. I know of only one (1) Territory pharm and I believe (I just don't remember for sure, it's been about 10 years since it's discovery and sale on eBay) it is from Lewiston. Your "black glass cylinder" is from Fort Sherman in Coeur d' Alene and I suspect you might be correct about it being Soldier made. We have discovered quite a few "Etched" Ale, Champaign, Wine bottles in the dumps around. Most are flower designs. Hard to know for sure, these can be easily faked even now.

If you ever come across any Coeur d' Alene bottles you would part with I am interested. I got several nice examples from that "Cannibal" guy from Missouri awhile back. Thanks again Jack.

I assume you were replying to me and not "Bill". I would love to hear what Idaho druggist have graphics, are in color, or are marked IT (Idaho territory). I recently broke down and bought an amber Idaho "Drug Co" bottle. I usually just look for "druggist", "pharmacist", "apothecary" or "chemist". This may be the only colored Idaho "drug store" I find. Usually I only get the "drug co." bottles if they are in a standard drug store shaped bottle. The bottle I picked up is marked:

The Fish Drug and Bottling Co. Pocatello Idaho / Makers of Ye Olde Tavern Club Beverages

6782A9551FD64E12A446907EC9AE86B3.jpg

Attachments

• 6782A9551FD64E12A446907EC9AE86B3.jpg
    6782A9551FD64E12A446907EC9AE86B3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member