A van Hoboken case gins

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

venusta15

Reaction score
Hi all
Pictured are different A van Hoboken's. These were consumed ravenishly by the pearlers here in Broome (Western Aust) around the turn of the century. The centre one is the older 'pig snout' lip. I am after the 'sample' size if anyone has one. Thought I'd share them with you.

Mike

Mk26080.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26080.jpg
    Mk26080.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 74

VirginiaDigger

Reaction score
Awesome Bottles!!!!! Good Luck With The Your Serech For The "Sample" Size Keep at it it will show up :)

venusta15

Reaction score
Bram
The two either side were dug (not 14' deep though!!) at the foreshore where the 'lay-up' camps were. The 'pig snout' was found in the mangroves near here. I use a 4' probe to find the dumps which may contain anything from a couple to hundreds of bottles. There is also a lot of concreted steel etc. The most common (old) bottles are plain green 'cheats'- ring seal beers with a very pronounced kick-up on the base. There were also 9 aeriated water factories here in 1890-1930 which used Codd bottles and these are much sought after, especially the ones with 'BROOME' embossed on them.

Mike

venusta15

Reaction score
Warren
I would be too scared to tumble them! The glass is very thin and it is not very often I find whole ones....They come up pretty clean, only requiring a wash-scrub and a 'scrape' on the insides. I use a length of 8 guage fencing wire with the last inch bent at an angle of 45 degrees. Over the bent end, I wrap 'Gaffa' tape till in a ball. This works great for 'scouring' the residue for all types of bottles while full of soapy water and has the advantage of being 'bendable' for those hard to reach places (ie Codds).

Mike

IRISH

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Mike

Nice bottles, do you have any broome Codd's or other aerated waters you can show us?I've always wanted to get up into your part of the country [:-] , will get there one day soon I think.

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Mike...

I used to own one like your middle bottle... Traded a dug O.P. Bogle's Hyperion Fluid for it back in the '70's... It appeared to be attic mint... Sold it to a jar nut when I had my store in the center of Ashfield... It was one of my prize possessions for quite a while...

Ron

venusta15

Reaction score
Irish
Here are some pics of a few Broome Codds. First, James & Piggott, (J&P) who operated out of the Roebuck Hotel. The one on the left is Melbourne Glass Manufacturers and dates around 1908. The right hand one is earlier- 1900 or so. There was a 7 oz made but I'm yet to find one. These are 13oz.

Mike

Ay73489.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73489.jpg
    Ay73489.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 68

venusta15

Reaction score
Next is an FH Broome. I am still researching this manufacturer and it is alledged that 'FH' was a manager of the Continental Hotel around 1910. These are very rare- I only have one.

Mike

Pn37408.jpg

Attachments

• Pn37408.jpg
    Pn37408.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 65

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85