An afternoon of digging locals... mostly broken!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KBbottles

Reaction score
Sometimes its funny how digging bottles and artifacts connect you with new people and new potential digging sites. Several months ago I went privy digging in a major city about an hour from home with a couple of digging buddies, one being Ratzilla, who occasionally posts here as well. Towards the end of the day, we were checking out an old crawlspace and he managed to scratch around and find a broken pint milk bottle which happened to have the same embossing as a farm and farmers market that is literally a short walk from my house. Embossed with the same town and all as well! I was in shock that this bottle even existed and made it all the way into the city we were digging. My digging buddies graciously let me take the shards of milk home to glue back together.

I contacted the owners of the farm, and they were very fascinated that this bottle had been discovered. They are still further researching the history of the farm as they werent aware of them ever bottling dairy products. Long story short, I brought the bottle to them and gifted it. As we talked, I told them all about the dumps I have dug in the area and shared that I once found an old cast iron property sign with a name on it and it turned out that this man was the wife's Grandfather. I brought the sign to her as well as I had no use for it but kept it for historical purposes. now it is reunited with the family after years of being buried. Awesome!!

The farm owners were so excited to own these historical artifacts. So excited that in return, they shared their old property dump site with me and informed me that their house was built in 1750! I was able to visit for the first time on Friday afternoon for a couple of hours as I had plans for the weekend with family. For a house this old, the dump the owner showed me was not too big and only covered the surface about a foot in a small concentrated area. I brought a scratcher with me to check it out. It was mostly TOC and later.

Immediately, I began picking up tons of shards of blobs, hutches, BIM crown sodas, and all sorts of other broken stuff. The only survivors I found were a large BIM wine bottle unembossed of course, an AMB Hires Extract, and some other commons. I scratched all over the place and got very disappointed with the rare locals that turned up smashed.

KBbottles

Reaction score
Pictured below, one of the first smashed locals was this rather large and heavy Zimmerman quart from New Brunswick. It is either the B.Zimmerman which is very scarce in this size or an M. Zimmerman which is even scarcer. BUMMER!! Then I dug the amber B. Zimmermann (two m's) and was shocked!!! This is a very rare BIM crown top and supposedly there are only about 10 known examples. This is according to a longtime New Brunswick Collector I am in touch with. I then turned up a shard of a "John Rosso Bottler Hopewell NJ" This would have been a somewhat common find as I have several Rosso's in my local collection... except for the fact that all of the John Rossos I have are from Kingston NJ which is what I collect. I believe this broken example to be a hard to find variant, which I want since it is related to the Kingston bottles! After all of the crying and disappointment, I was about ready to pack it up and leave but said to myself... "Just a few more scratches."

I took the rake and picked another spot of this shallow surface dump and then SCRAPE... You ever hit a bottle and know by the sound of it that it is a heavy one and most likely whole? I wiped away the dirt and ran my hand along the backside of what was probably a complete blob. Excited as heck, I scratched around and thought to myself... With my luck, it is probably the most common bottle ever and not from around here either. Once it was finally loose, I plucked this glassy gem from the soil and turned it to see the embossing. A local from Kingston I have been hunting all year!!! Emilio Grandi Kingston NJ. Damage-free. Despite all of the broken heartbreakers, I had one piece to take home proudly. The owners of the farm informed me I can come back any time I want and so I will be there with better digging materials and thoroughly clear out the area in case there a few more survivors lurking in the dirt.

Sorry for the rambling... Hope you enjoyed my story and share a similar pursuit for local bottles.

-KB

4EEA9BCD186F470B9DBA6B97931C2D84.jpg

Attachments

• 4EEA9BCD186F470B9DBA6B97931C2D84.jpg
    4EEA9BCD186F470B9DBA6B97931C2D84.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 61

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Ken,...great story...Things like that that lead to other things are pretty cool,...I'm sure there's more bottles around there somewhere?...Did you by chance consider the possible privys? Glad you found a great local too.

KBbottles

Reaction score
Thanks Joe! Absolutely... Been thinking about it a lot. I meant to add that i found a couple of older redware shards mixed in the late stuff. There has got to be a privy or a few on the property along with a potential older cistern that could have had stuff thrown in. Something to bring up with the owners when the time is right.

Also, if anyone out there in antique bottle land has a whole example of any of these, i want it i want it I WANT IT!!! [:D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Whats up KB howszit going
Im glad you got a few whole ones. I hear you about the "one thing leads to another" theory. It is like a chain reaction sometimes.I got a lot of my past permissions that way. I need to get my azz out there soon! good luck with the farm.

jerrypev

Reaction score
Since Martin Zimmerman died in 1884 the quart bottle is most likely from when his wife Barbara Zimmerman operated the business. I'm not aware of John Rosso having a business in Hoepwell. John and his son John Jr operated a candy shop and later a vegetable business in Trenton before starting a bottling business in the Princeton area (Kingston) about 1900.
The Zimmerman amber bottle is interesting. Have seen a lot of Zimmerman bottles but don't remember seeing an amber Zimmerman before?

KBbottles

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry, you are absolutely correct that it is most likely a B. Zimmerman... Although i know that two variants of B. zimmerman quart blobs exist and 2 variants of M. zimmerman quarts exist so there is still a chance. The bottle is quite crude for a blob.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles