Another 7up Thread ... But Different

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

If anyone ever finds a 7up paper label that contains one or more of the above features, please share it with us. As it stands now, I consider it a one-of-a-kind

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
As far as dates are concerned, the wording on the Trademark doc-u-ments is a little confusing as to exactly what pertains to what, but the earliest confirmed dates I'm aware of are ...

August 7, 1928

Notice it includes the words 'bottles' and 'label'

7up Patent Info Page two.jpg

February 5, 1929

7up Patent Info page one (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is from a Cecil Munsey article, and even though he does not describe it in detail, nor attribute a date to it, the wording suggest it is referring to a paper label - that could very well be 7up's first label. Notice under the 7up that it does not include the words "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off." So does this mean that its pre February 5, 1929? I'm not sure either, but hope to find out one of these days. If indeed this is the first 7up paper label, then maybe the one on my bottle is their second label. ???

7up Paper Label Possible First Cecil Munsey (2).jpg

7up Paper Label Possible First Cecil Munsey (4).jpg

7up Paper Label Possible First Cecil Munsey (3).jpg

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
That's excellent Bob. I take it you won't be selling this one? LOL There are some interesting 7up bottles on ebay right now I am watching. They have different variations than the normal ones. Nothing like yours but still cool for the 7up collector.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy

Because I only paid about $14.00 for my bottle, that's what I currently feel its worth.

But what if ...

1. The paper label was in near mint condition?

2. It was a confirmed "Tyler Brothers" bottle?

3. The date was confirmed as 1931 or earlier?

4. It was the only known example?

If all of the above pertained to my bottle, what would it be worth then?

iggyworf

Reaction score
After seeing how much the 'one of a kind' back label bottle went for, yours, if all your criteria were in place, could be worth just as much or probably a lot more. 250$ and up. Maybe closer to 500$.

SODABOB

Reaction score
iggy / Rich

I just came across this Tyler Brothers 7up bottle that sold on eBay this past July 1, 2016

Notice:

1. Its an eight-bubble bottle
2. It has the Owens-Illinois mark ... 3 <(I)> 1 . (With a dot)
3. It also has 'Duraglas' embossed on the base

As you know, Duraglas was a glass hardening finish that Owens-Illinois introduced in/around 1940. Which suggest the 1 . stands for 1941

What do you make of it? I thought the last of the standard-size green 7up bottles that had eight bubbles was produced around 1938-1939 at the latest. Please refresh my memory. Are you aware of any standard green 7up bottle with eight bubbles that was produced later than 1939 and as late as 1941? And is there anything about the slogan on the back that will help date it? I'm confident the 1 . does not stand for 1951

Thanks

Bob

7up Tyler Brothers 8 Bubble Front.jpg

7up Tyler Brothers 8 Bubble Back.jpg

7up Tyler Brothers 8 Bubble Base Duraglas.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Here is the chart for the bottles.

7up Chart Bill Lockhart (2).jpg
If I read it correctly, doesn't it state it may be possible for that bottle? I believe that would be back label #3. I actually just got 2 7up bottle's with that back label. I will check them out again later. They are not 8 bubble though. I agree it is not 1951.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks. I forgot about that chart even though I have it on file. Charts are better than memories! And, yes, it indicates there were 8 bubble bottles in 1941. But 1941 seems to be the latest they were made. I wish I had seen that Tyler Brothers bottle earlier and I might have bid on it. Here's the eBay link for those who want to check it out. It sold for $17.51

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-7-U...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Bob, glad I could help again. I missed that bottle also. And that one was defiantly in my price range.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen