Another day of digging in Sherbrooke, Qc

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

vincefort

Reaction score
I had a nice dig friday evening and made some nice finds but my best find of the day was not made in the ground. While we were digging we heard some strange noises coming from the wilderness and suddenly a man smelling alcohool came out of nowhere. He was interested in what we were doing so we showed him our finds and he told us he had been picking bottles on the ground and near rivers for years. I told him I would like to see what he had so we met at his place later. he showed me many uninteresting acl bottles etc... but suddenly he unwrapped from a newspaper a nice local pharmacy bottle. I had find one like this last year and it was an unlisted bottle so I was happy of this find and he was happy to get some money for it se he could go and buy some more beer lol. It's a pharmacie Chagnong bottle 173 Wellington street Sherbrooke.

t7ya.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is another shot beside the one I dug last year

sxr5.jpg
[/URL][/URL][/IMG]

I also made another great find, in the ground this time, and I was pretty thrilled to see the embossing on this stoneware. It says Maclaren's imperial canadian cheese on it and it really looks great with the cows, I love it!

4w55.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I made some other finds a bimal case gin, a bimal good looking bottle and some dishes from a local hotel named the Oxford house. I made some other finds but those were the more interestings one my friend also dug some nice bottles but I dont' have the pictures here.

2f8n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dzqt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RCO

Reaction score
the medicine bottles are nice , sherbrooke being a bigger city in quebec not sure how rare they'd be but there definity a nice find for sure . a local bottle collector would definity appreciate them , I never seem to find many local medical bottles myself for whatever reasons

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Are the Sherbrooke drugstores "Queen Ovals"? (check bases)

deenodean

Reaction score
Excellent-toe...very nice to find local stuff!! looks like that med is amethyst. I found a MacLarens Cheese here in Nova Scotia, the embossing was on the bottom and much younger than yours...congratulations on a nice find and also thank Mr. Booze for the med...lol..

nostalgia

Reaction score
Did you think of asking 'Mr Booze' where he found the druggist? If there was one, there are probably more...

Congrats on the finds!

vincefort

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys,

RCO: those medicine bottles are very rare in fact I know many collectors in Québec and the 2 in my collection are the only ones I ever saw but there are certainly more to be found.

mctaggart67 : The pharmacie Chagnon are Queen ovals indeed but I have 2 other medicines from Sherbrooke: E.C. Fraser and W.H. Griffith and they are w.t. & co.

deenodean: Yes the pharmacie Chagnon I got yesterday is amethyst the one I already had is not and yea thanks mr Booze[:D]

nostlagia: I asked him and he said he found this one in the basement of the house where he lives, it might be true because it's a very old house.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Queen Ovals were a later product put out by Toronto's Richards Glass Co. (RIGO). I'd date them to the late 1910s. RIGO really took the Canadian bottle world by storm from its founding in 1912 onward and really pushed W.T.Co., etc. out of the market. My best surmising is that, Richards, backed by the newly formed Dominion Glass, just undercut everyone else on price until they had enough of the market to begin to dictate prices. So, I guess what I'm saying is those Queen Ovals, beside being nice locals, were part of a larger business war.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26