Antique Store Bottle Buying

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CMPharmD

Reaction score
(Please forgive me if this is not the place for this question, it is my first... couple hours on this site, so I'm adjusting to the forum layouts[;)])

What are your opinions on purchasing bottles? It seems that most people on this site find their bottles or buy them from yard sales. I live in Florida, where there aren't *that* many antiques available, or if they are available, they cost a pretty penny...

I have found my bottles (the "worthless" ones) at a local junk yard, bought some from a retired pharmacist ($$), or bought them at antique stores($$-$$$). I am still in school and don't have a lot of money(only 1 more year left!), but do feel compelled to spend money on something I feel is as important as a good antique pharmacy bottle, especially if that bottle won't be there later on because I passed it up.

So basically, what are your opinions on purchasing bottles for good money? Is it something you always do, or rarely do? What you say only the suckers buy from antique stores?
Honesty appreciated!
(Hopefully in the future I'll have the opportunity to go on a dig... I watched a special on bottle digging on the Travel Channel and it sparked my interest in bottles period...[:D])

jesster64

Reaction score
I think your best bet would be local clubs and/or shows. You pay top dollar at stores. Shows have better variety, nicer bottles, and much better prices. Plus you get to talk to local collectors who can give you a tip or 2 on where to look. Digging is 90% of the fun.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
I say buy um dig um find um go to shows.. etc.. just use good judgement and purchase smart... I do all of the above and have made out really well in all situations depend on the time and place...

It's all about being there when the glass is there..

jays emporium

Reaction score
I find bottles and buy bottles at all the places that have been mentioned here. Garage sales, estate sales, antique stores, flea markets, bottle shows, ebay, ....
The thing is figuring out what kind of bottles you want to collect and getting some information on what they are worth so you don't way overpay for something you could get for much less money somewhere else. By "worth" I don't mean what they list for in some obscure price guide. I mean what other collectors of the same type bottles are actually paying for them. One good source of that information would be auction catalogs from some of the bottle auction houses. These can be found online but they are mostly higher priced bottles. For more common bottles the best place to look is ebay completed auctions. Just search for "pharmacy bottle" for example and you will be able to see results of all that have sold on ebay in the last 2 weeks.
Once you get an idea what bottles are actually selling for you will at least be able to set a price range that you would pay. If you find one at a garage sale for a dollar you would buy it. If you find one at an antique mall for $50. probably not, but if it was $5. maybe.
Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
Jay

coreya

Reaction score
not sure where in florida you are but here in the ocala area I have found some amazing bottles and jars at estate, yard sales and the occasional flea mkt. for very low prices as I am on a strict bottle & jar budget (very rarely pay over 2.00 for a bottle or jar). The key as stated by jays before is education in value and type so you can recognize a deal when you see it, also time spent looking at all the above places. If you only give a little thats what you will get.

digdug

Reaction score
I get bottles anyway I can...dig, antique stores, flea markets, bottle shows, ebay, beg, borrow , but never steal, etc. Although digging is my favorite, I don't get to go often enough and have to do something to get my bottle fix.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1