Any Long Island collectors out there?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sinned

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply NYCFlasks & NYDigger1

Need someone with Experience !!! ,That knows how to locate a privy. I know theres a privy on this property but i cant locate it. There's no depression in the ground that i can see. I've done a little poking around with a probe but no luck, so i don't know where to dig !...I need help to locate the spot & help dig. Will do 50/50 split on findings.

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Have dug for 40 years, and finding privies out on LI can be tricky, as they were shallow wood liners for the most part.
Be sure that the current lot is original, that it has not been split over the years.
You might do better with the trash pits which were typical for LI. Best areas to probe, in a band starting 4 to 6 feet from the rear property line and going back to the rear property line. Stick it every step, you should hit something, it will feel soft and crunchy, once you hit one, you will never forget the feeling.

Sinned

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips NYCFlask, guess l guess i have a little poking around to do ! I've never dug one before, but remember stumbling upon bottles a few times in wooded areas on the island. They were right on top of the ground ! I wasnt really interested at the time .Most of those kind of spots are real hard to fid these days.In the late 60's & 70's it wasnt uncommon to find them on the surface like that.The last spot like that i found was in Massapequa in the early 90's in a little patch of woods loaded with 1850's - 1900 beautiful embossed bottles & i just left them there, they built a park there right on top of them ! I really just got the "bug" a couple a years ago & just itching to do some digging .Some of those embossed medicine & poison bottles are really neat.I sure wish i could get you to come to this location & help. Oh well ,a probing i will go ! Thanks again NYCFlask for the tips...I'll keep you posted on how i make out.

casperjm

Reaction score
LIVE IN LONG BEACH.... ANTIQUE COLLECTOR, with some history background and archeology buff looking to start digging and collecting when and wherever possible...

Looking specifically for medical stuff, laudanum, patent meds, etc., stuff that will always wow guests, lol, though any and everything will suffice.

Contact me at CasperJM@live.com.

DJbubby

Reaction score
I'm new to collecting and recently decided to start digging. Long island seems to be tough with needing permits to dig places and whatnot. My gf ordered me a metal detector and I can't wait to use it. Any tips would be great!

NyDigger1

Reaction score
to dig you need a permit first (for long island and five boroughs) if you type it into google it should come up

HH!

DJbubby

Reaction score
[:mad:] damn long island, lol.......$40! plus the yearly park fee!!!

DIGGIN DOC

Reaction score
ABOUT 6 WINTERS AGO I PARKED AT JONES BEACH FIELD 6 AND WALKED EAST AROUND THE SOUTH EDGE OF ZACH'S BAY TO THE OLD MAINTENANCE YARD. A FEW ABANDONED BUILDINGS AND PILES OF OLD CLAM SHELLS AND GARBAGE LED ME TO BELIEVE THERE WAS A LANDFILL THERE AT ONE TIME. SURE ENOUGH, I STARTED FINDING OLD BROKEN BOTTLES MOSTLY COCA-COLAS. I DID FIND A FEW COMPLETE EMBOSSED ONES AS WELL. NOBODY BOTHERED ME THE WHOLE TIME I WAS THERE. I DID MANAGE TO FIND A 5-GALLON HOME DEPOT BUCKET IN THE MIX AND PROCEED TO FILL IT WITH SHARDS OF JUST AQUA COKE BOTTLE GLASS AND ONLY THE EMBOSSED STUFF. THEN I HAD TO LUG THE 30LBS OF GLASS ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE PARKING LOT WHICH WAS MORE THAN A 1/2 MILE AWAY AND THE TIDE CAME IN MAKING THE WALK BACK EVEN NARROWER. JUST OUTSIDE THE YARD I LOOKED DOWN TO SEE A COMPLETE SMALL BLUE OLD BROMO SELTZER BOTTLE WITH A STOPPER MOUTH....AN ADDED BONUS. IT WAS FUNNY BECAUSE IT WAS IN THE SAND AND HAD A HUGE TRACTOR TIRE MARK RIGHT OVER IT.

I NEED TO GET BACK OVER THERE AGAIN AND SEE WHAT AHS CHANGED IF ANYTHING.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie