Anyone know about this one?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VaChick

Reaction score
Hi, as I sift through my parents collection I'm constantly amazed by what I find. It fun finding info on line, and usually I discover something, I've come across a few that I find nothing about. If someone can help me, I would really appreciate it!

Here goes -- it's clear w/a bit of gray, 9" tall, has rough seams one ends about 1/2 " under the applied 'crown' (?) top, the other seam ends in the middle of the bottom ring of the 'crown' top (is this wierd?)

It's embossed with: Registered then, in a slug plate Will C. Lish, L, York, PA. (the L is cursive). There is nothing on back or bottom.

I'll try to upload a picture or two if I can figure it out.

Db85833.jpg

Attachments

• Db85833.jpg
    Db85833.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 65

VaChick

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post and pictures, but here's the bottom and the top of my unknown bottle.

Again, thanks for any information.
VaChick

Qo40299.jpg

Attachments

• Qo40299.jpg
    Qo40299.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 68

medbottle

Reaction score
Greetings VaChick. I have some information on your bottle, taken from a book created by several York PA bottle collectors. William Lish was a bottler from 1915-1917, located at the rear of 127-129 North George Street in York PA. To quote the book, "His bottles can be found, but they are not plentiful." Lish is described as a "Jack-of-all-trades", due to listings in the business directories of the time. If the listings were for the same person, then from 1868-1917 he tried his hand at soap & candles, butchering, junk, axle grease & barbers supplies (what a combo...the original greasy kid stuff [:)] ), patent medicine manufacture, pop corn, fertilizer, and wholesale confectioner. I can only add that you are correct about the lip...it is a crown top, and it isn't unusual to find the seams as you describe.

VaChick

Reaction score
MedBottle -- wow, how do you find a book written by Pennsylvanian bottle collectors? Is all this history on-Line?

The guy sounds incredible -- what a life! I hope he washed his hands real good between jobs, don't you?[:D]

I wonder what he put into the bottle? From my tiny bit of knowledge, it sure looks like a beer or soda, but none of those were mentioned.

Interesting. . .

Again, thanks,
VaChick

medbottle

Reaction score
VaChick- I picked up my copy at the Baltimore Bottle show, but I've also seen it at several antique shops in the York area, which I haunt on a regular basis. As far as I know, the book isn't on-line. The book was written before the internet became so all-encompassing, so these folks did their research by going through the city directories and by interviewing surviving relatives. As far as the contents of the bottle, the shape says almost certainly soda. By the way, there are some bottle shows coming up in Winchester, Harrisonburg, and Richmond VA in the next few months. I don't have the dates right in front of me, but let me know if you are interested in any of them and I will find out for sure. Hey Meech, when is your show?! October....9...16?

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hello to all,
medbottle our show is coming up soon. It is on Oct. the second. Here's a link to the flyer I made for the show.

http://members.aol.com/meechuta/5x7flyer72dpi.jpg

Please come and join us !
I'd love to meet everyone who can attend.

VaChick

Reaction score
MedBottle, All,
thanks for getting back. It's incredible what history can be found in a chunk of glass.

BTW, I have to split up my parents collection of hundreds of bottles, and shoot, if there is this much history in EVERY one, I won't get rid of any. Which means I'll have to either build a room addition or move to a bigger house so I can turn around without knocking things over!

The bottle shows sound like they'd be interesting and a good way for me to learn more. It certainly sounds like there's plenty to learn

Thanks again
VaChick

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn