Anyone need one?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I am new to this so please bare with me. After finding about 100+ old and odd canning jars and glass insulators in a home we purchased, I started poking around on the net and found you wonderful people. I posted in the jar section today as well. While trolling through the forums I noticed you guys talking about dumps and was pretty confused as to how you were able to dig in a landfill (where I live they will blast you for scavenging) then I realized you may be talking about old rural dumps pre-landfill times. Being as I am an avid outdoorsman/hunter I remembered just a spot while deer hunting just this year. Tonight my boy and I walked out there and sure enough that is exactly what we found. I cursed under my breath at the S.O.B who would discard all the glass and debris in the middle of the woods when I stumbled across it at first. After twenty minutes of digging through leaves and general forest litter we managed to bring home 25 bottles( tons more but my companion was whining the whole way back as it was). I only took the ones without a screw cap. I am almost sure that the majority of the bottles there are worthless as there were litterally hundreds of them. The picture I posted is not all that clear and I ran out of batteries to try for a better one so this will have to do until I recharge. Bottom of bottle-Miram Walker and Sons Limited, Walkerville Canada. #'s 65-46 Bottle Made in USA.
Lower face-4/5 of a Quart. Upper face-Federal Law Prohibits Sale or Re-Use of This Bottle.
Lots like the one mentioned and several that are from Scotland and some with just letters.
Thanks, Rob.

Mk24800.jpg

Attachments

• Mk24800.jpg
    Mk24800.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 61

diginit

Reaction score
Hello, Rumpy.
Fed. Law bottles were made from 1933 to 1967. The generic (commons)aren't really collectable as yet. Some people like the fancy ones though. There may be something older underneath if you dig abit. Here's a couple of tips.
If the seam goes through the top, It's ABM.(Automatic bottle machine) (post 1910)
If the seam stops below the top or at the shoulder, It's top is either tooled (1885-1910)
or applied (pre 1885) Embossed (raised lettering), colored, and odd shapes are most desirable. The older the better. Condition and rarity are a factor. Some damage can be tumbled out (polished). Checkout some of the posts on this site and Ebay to get an Idea what to look for. Post pics of your dump in digging and finding for more advice. Lots of good people here.

Reaction score
Thanks Diginit. My little 10yr/old mule is in school right now but am considering heading back out on my own. I am sure this is an untouched dump just for the location factor. After looking at the area with Google Earth (best program for topographic maps IMHO) I noticed an old foundation or something about .5 klm from where the dump was found, you can even see the cart trail that I never knew exsisted had it not been for GE. I'll let you know if I uncover anything worth sharing. BTW if anyone should want one of these old whiskey bottle's let me know, better off on someone's shelf than lying on the forest floor deemed as litter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter