Aqua colored Simon Pure bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RockUrSocks

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Simon-Pure-Bottle-Aqua-/170527480997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

RockUrSocks

Reaction score
btw if anyone can give me any info on this bottle it would be greatly appreciated :D

epackage

Reaction score
The only info I can give is that whoever is selling it has no common sense trying to use that tiny little picture as an eye grabber. I wouldn't want it if he/she was giving it away.......LOL....you find all kinds on e-bay

epackage

Reaction score
I can tell you they made beer and ale out of the William Simon Breweries.....They were out of Buffalo NY....Famous for Old Abbey Ale.....

Unless of course they were the Simon Bros Inc out of Madison Wisconsin who bottled Root Beer and other sodas.....but considering the seller found it in NY I would assume it's the first one.....

These people are big Simon Pure fans....... http://simonpure.org/?page_id=29

Jim

epackage

Reaction score
Who was Simon Pure you ask.....

Simon Pure
Like the character of Mrs. Malaprop in Sheridan's play The Rivals, the name Simon Pure soon became a noun for a quality in a person. In Mrs. Malaprop's case, that quality was incorrect usage of a word by substituting a similar-sounding word with different meaning, usually with comic effect. In Simon's case, that quality was authenticity and in Simon's impersonator's case, that quality was hypocrisy.

In its adjective form, the quickly compound gained a hyphen and lost its capitals when, in 1894, William Dean Howells wrote glowingly of "American individuality, the real, simon-pure article." As in boycott from Captain Boycott and bloomer from Amelia Bloomer, names turn into words and lose their capital letters in eponymy. As a noun, Simon Pure is two words; as an adjective, it is lowercase and still holds the hyphen. That keeps the adjectival form untainted.

The fact that there were two Simon Pures on stage is probably the reason the term became a confusing one. Depending on how it's used, it can mean either an honest man or a hypocrite who makes a great show of virtue.

Modernly, Simon Pure has become the source of two expressions: the phrase "The real Simon Pure", meaning "the real man"; and the adjective "simon-pure", meaning either

1.of genuine, untainted purity or integrity; or
2.pretentiously, superficially or hypocritically virtuous.

In 1984, the term "simon-pure" received some publicity when Ambassador Robert Morris at the United States State Department conceded that the United States had taken some steps toward economic protectionism, but insisted, "If we are not simon-pure, we remain fairly credible."As reported by then-New York Times columnist William Safire, the phrase simon-pure means "untainted." In this context, delegates to conventions who are unencumbered by charges of being the creatures of ill-gotten funds are simon-pure delegates.

epackage

Reaction score
Here's Buster Keaton doing an a commercial for Simon Pure Beer.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oIK07zRSxY

epackage

Reaction score
A little history.... hard to believe the seller tried very hard to find any info.......has me scratching my head ??????????

William Simon Pure Brewery
Simon Pure was one of the oldest operating Buffalo breweries closing in 1971. Simon's, like many breweries, started under a different name. The William Simon Brewery was the successor to the John Schusler Brewery, founded in 1859 located in Buffalo, New York. William Simon purchased the brewery in 1896, after a period as Schusler's brewmaster.

It reopened after Prohibition and built a strong local following for its Simon Pure Beer and Old Abbey Ale. The William Simon Brewery managed to outlast many other the other breweries in Buffalo, finally closing in 1973. After the brewery closed, its brands were purchased and produced for a time by the Fred Koch Brewery of Dunkirk, New York, until it closed in about 1980

RockUrSocks

Reaction score
lol that is my post.....i didnt say i wanted to know about simon pure the company, i wanted to know about the bottle it self....and the pic is cause i dont have a digital camera and this pic is the one i could find.

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
so its not even a photo of the actual bottle itself? I recommend relisting it with multiple photos that are of higher quality of the actual bottle, otherwise i doubt it will sell at all.

RockUrSocks

Reaction score
i thought of that myself but with no digital camera its kinda hard to do it

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen