Baltimore Bottle Show Pickups

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: PrivyCheese

I had one of these and traded it. I doubt it was a medcine. Notice the very wide mouth. It has been discussed many times by the Baltimore colectors. Some think maybe capers or some other food stuff. Who really knows. No one seems to know the definitive answer. This one is in really great shape. Yes they are rare. They are around but you dont see them come up for sale that often. Most of the Baltimore collectors have one of these. I dug mine. I traded mine in a deal for the Baltimnore star ink.

Thanks John...I now have a new bottle to add to my wish list! Anyone know roughly what one would expect to pay for one, and If so, anybody have one for sale? Just a thought.... [:D]

baltbottles

Reaction score
Its my opinion that these contained Mustard powder. There are similar ones embossed New York that also have the tree.

Chris

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
It must have been some very generic product since they didnt really use the embossing to protect a particular proprietor.
This would be similar to GENUINE ESSENCE bottle which were made for general sales at any drug store.

a good article on early mustard bottles...
http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/jones1983.pdf

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The bottle form seems about right for mustard but the image of the plant doesnt seem close to a mustard plant.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Matt I wonder if the plant was just to represent a spice of some kind. perhaps these could be filled with any spice and a label denoting the product would be attached. It makes me wonder if these were just a generic Baltimore glass works spice bottle. The come in aqua and I have shards of clear examples all are found in 1820s-1840s context privies. I'd really like a clear example if anyone has one.

Chris

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
It makes me wonder if these were just a generic Baltimore glass works spice bottle.

possible. If that was true it seems like they would be a bit more common? Maybe the cost ended up being too high compared to slicks and they were discontinued. Or they were generic bottles just ordered by one store?

baltbottles

Reaction score
I have dug quite a few of them broken and seen several in collections so they are not super rare. I have had no luck going through the sun paper looking for anyone selling mustard or other spices talking about bottles embossed with a plant or Baltimore. found many references to bottles marked LONDON though.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93