Beef Iron and Wine Paper-Label Druggist from Shelby, Michigan

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Shelby%2BDruggist%2B020.JPG
I picked this tooled strap-side druggist up today with a number of other bottles.
Shelby%2BDruggist%2B004.JPG
This Beef Iron and Wine is "Prepared for E. L. Stevenson & Co. Druggists, Shelby, Mich." Because it was "Guaranteed under the Food and Drugs Act. June 30, 1906," we know it's post-1905.
Shelby%2BDruggist%2B005.JPG
Other than that, I know nothing beyond what it says. It even had some product left in it, but it stained the bottle so badly that I flushed it out and scrubbed what I could out.'20 per cent alcohol and caramel.' Also in it, 'Citro-chloride of iron with pure grape wine and aromatics.'Sounds delightful.
Shelby%2BDruggist%2B021.JPG
Has an interesting seam over a corner of each "strap." Anyone know anything on this particular druggist?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Semi-local bottle for you, then. Because it was 'prepared for,' I'd think it was a large druggist. But I don't find info on the company?

logueb

Reaction score
I was doing research on a liquified meat bottle a few years ago and discovered that at the turn of the century there were a lot of underweight people. The introduction of liquid meat juices was recommended for these people who were seriously underweight. This may have been one of those remedies. Also with iron it was probably a forerunner of Geritol .[:D] Buster

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
So it's basically a medicine that actually worked. Rather amazing that it did more good than harm, unlike other products of the time.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I used to live near a Shelby Michigan when I lived in Utica. Shelby was the next town north of Utica. BUT, It was such a small town I'm not even sure if it existed around 1900? Is there 2 different Shelby Michigans? LEON.

iggyworf

Reaction score
LEON, yes there is another Shelby Mi. It's actually in the area of where Bear lives. It's north of Muskegon. But it is still a small town.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Only thing I know about Shelby is that my friend's GF lives there. lol. This complicates things, then. 2 Shelby's? Very interesting.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen