Been a spell Update

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score
R.T. Lacy had a side business in Talleysville, Va. (New Kent, Co.) which was named Baltimore Store. I was told he choose this name because the majority of his goods were bought in Baltimore and brought down by river boat to White House Landing. Talleysville was once a small collection of houses and the Baltimore Store at the intersection settled before the War Between the States. As late as the 1970's the Baltimore store (sold to R.E. Richardson) still stood along with Lacy's old law office. Today even the intersection has changed into a roundabout and the buildings a mere memory. The property where Talleysville once sat now is home to a large winery complete with a golf course and restaurant. [attachment=Richardsons store 2.jpg] 1970's [attachment=Intersection.JPG] TodayClose up of the Lacy bottle[attachment=Lacy bottle 2+.jpg]

Attachments

• 76ED7EC7AC2143E0B2C7FFEC9F41C6F7.JPG
    76ED7EC7AC2143E0B2C7FFEC9F41C6F7.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 80D40902ACF140EB8399ECCBBF644B5B.jpg
    80D40902ACF140EB8399ECCBBF644B5B.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 72
  • B4B41C16B2764BF19F9E4E754B25D25F.jpg
    B4B41C16B2764BF19F9E4E754B25D25F.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 74

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Re: Been a spell

How's it going Belmont Hunter.Encountered doesn't seem as good as obtained but that's a stunning piece.I'm not sure what those two are doing, they look a little standoffish to be shaking hands. It's more like pointing guns or something. What are they doing?Anyway, I hope the new project is is a fun one.

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score

Life has been interesting.I agree encountering isn't near as nice as owning, the two men are digging an artisian well and this bottle is the earliest verison I know of, dates between 1877 and 188? This example was dug this at the home place of the first owner of Belmont Lithia Water about 30 years ago. The second example dates no earlier than 1897, that's the date the TradeMark was registered as a "spring" and not later 1906. I'm really excited about this project as I hope to be able to make a field trip to the county and rediscover the original well site and where they bottled. Anyone here have bottle examples they will share?

2find4me

Reaction score

I'll keep a look out, been seeing quite a few Buffalo type stuff at the local antique shops and yard sales. Don't think I will see it since it's so rare... but worth a try!

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score

God willing and my cough doesn't rise I hope to be the road to New Kent Court House, New Kent County Virginia tomorrow morning. I've done about as much online as I can for now without at least a new lead or two. I've studied a CW era map, 1863 confederate I think it was, the main roads I'm interested in still seem to be pretty much the same when compared to current maps. So after I finish up at the court house I hope to be able to ramble the roads and follow up on where I believe the well was sunk. I have a guide who I will meet up with to see the bottling site at a date yet to be set. He told me when we last spoke about all the broken glass that was laying around there. Naturally I hope to find a whole when we go but the right shards would help tell some of the story too.

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score

I didn't get to make my trip this week so I'm shooting for Monday. As soon as I figure out to how insert pictures I have a few shots of where I'm heading to share. I have a MacGills Stronia Mineral Water I picked up a few years back that I learned probaly dates between 1890 and 1901. Really need to have it cleaned (light interior haze) it doesn't really fit my collection but could make a decent trader cleaned I think for one I don't have.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

Ahh, turning an auger, I see that now.Anyway, the area it was at looks like a nice walk if nothing else but I hope you come back with something.

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score

I just got back in from my road trip, what a great day! The first time I ever enjoyed spending time in jail (that's where the New Kent Historical Society is located) such a great group of people. I came back loaded with fresh materials and new leads, can't hardly wait to start reading and work on the time line.

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score

Changed pictures at the start of the thread. The 1st is the old jail where the NKHS is housed, second picture is the "main" road that leads to a cut road (3rd pic) I'm thinking was the site of the well.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn