Before & after shots

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stinger haut

Reaction score
Howsit Warren,
Actually in Hawaii, where surfers come here to prove their abilities and how macho they can be, this wave is considered about a medium size wave.
I can't surf the big stuff anymore, this is about my max now. My brother still can surf the really big days at 56 years old. For me, this is about as macho as I can get.
Stinger

capsoda

Reaction score
I understand that for sure. My macho on the water begins and ends with a shower.[sm=lol.gif]

Don't know if I could stand on one much less make a run.

HawaiiGlass4me

Reaction score
Hey Pono, I'm glad that you're ok now. Where was that pic taken? Looks like some north shore action. I have too busy with my sports photography. I found a privy in the back of my friends property but I have too busy to dig it. It looks like early 1900's. Found out that a train track ran thru the propety. Found a few broken blobs strewn about, it's a good thing it's on my friend property and I don't have to rush. Talk to you later... Rick

stinger haut

Reaction score
Howsit Rick,
No, the shot of me on that wave wasn't the North Shore. If it were the North Shore you'd probably see about 5 other guys taking off on me.
Its a spot that reqiures either a fourwheel drive and then you have to paddle out or you can find a friend with a boat and paddle into the break (I came in on a boat). Last Winter we had some really big swells come through. This reef usually doesn't break inless you get a very strong northwest swell.
That is great about the privy being in your friend's yard. Take it slow and easy.
The trashpit up north was being dug into by myself and a few other guys who surf. I got about 20 hutches out of it. Two of then were full funneltop Excelsiors and a Lahina Ice. One of guys got a long neck Brady and a 3/4 round bottom Pacific hutch. I also found a tooled top Peacock whiskey near Hakalau, just laying on top of the ground near the stream. Its in pretty good shape, one scratch on the shoulder.
Where I live a sugarcane co. had a R&R running right behind my house. I live in camp two area. I have found a lot of R&R spikes, rails, and even ties. The train stopped up the street to pick up the workers. They 're going to be widing Puainako someday and they'll be bulldozing that area plus an old dump. that my neighbor remembers from when his grandfather and father were working the fields. I hope to be present when this happens.
Did you hear about the kid who was prawn fishing up in Honomu and found a Brady hutch. David at Glass Fron The Past told me about the kid walked in to the shop with the bottle. The father came in and off went the Brady.
I have a friend who lives down the street fron David's shop, so I usually stop in and say hi and see whats new. However, having been laid up, I haven't gone up there lately.
At Honoli'i some early hutches have been found lately by the ground keepers. That surprised me, I have only seen much later bottles there.
I hope your privy has a lot of good Hawaiian bottles in it.
Pono

HawaiiGlass4me

Reaction score
Hey Pono. I think people who surf today are crazy, it's not the waves or the reef that are dangerous, it's the younger surfers who have no respect for others that cause the danger. I guess I'm a chicken whenever there's lots of water around, I don't swim, I sink.

I heard many stories about people finding good bottles in the streams around the Honomu and Hakalau areas after a big rain storm. I heard that a bunch of collectors found a great spot near the old Hakalau post office. They were finding a lot of rare blobs in nice condition.

Have you noticed that it's becoming more difficult to buy the less common soda bottles in the antique shops. I have been checking out all of the shops in Hilo and Honomu and I don't see much of the rarer bottles. I'm about 16-20 bottles short of completing my Big Island collection. Of course one of them is the painted lable Hilo Excelsior soda.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Howsit Rick,
People who surf for the most part are good to surf with, but out of the water its a different story.
Your that close to completing a Big Island soda collection that is pretty darn good.
Yeah, that one painted Excelsior is VERY hard to find. If you find it ( hopefully you'll find it) then you won't have to pay a lot of bigtime kala for it.
Last time I was hitting the bottle stores it was very lean, no really hard to find bottles. I think that a lot of guys are collecting these days. There are also so many F.O.B. s showing up around Hilo.
Are you going to the show in Honolulu next month?
Pono

Tony14

Reaction score
Stinger, I thought that bottle looked familiar!

C8DA1B56AC024B418DDC7C5F842B48B7.jpg

Attachments

• C8DA1B56AC024B418DDC7C5F842B48B7.jpg
    C8DA1B56AC024B418DDC7C5F842B48B7.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 72

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hey Tony,
Yeah, there are probably a billion Farlands out there.
I think I have about 6 different ones.
Did you dig this one?
Stinger

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson