Best Bottle Shows for ACL Sodas???????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

acls

Reaction score
All of Pat's pictures are making me want to take a road trip to a bottle show. I would probably want to set up to sell a few bottles too. What are everyones' thoughts on the best bottle show to find some good top notch ACL soda bottles?

T D

Reaction score
Matt, I'm with you. You usually find "run of the mill" common acls at the shows around Georgia and South Carolina, in fact the first time in several years I've seen a few different, rare acls were the ones that Pat brought to Columbia this year. Now there is the table (hope I'm not insulting someone here) that you see at every show, where there are some rare and desireable acls, but they are so grossly overpriced, I usually just pass by because they are the same bottles show after show and I don't even know where to start to barter (I would love the "A Kick" if it didn't have quite so much casewear). Lately I've been spending more time looking for Ga SS sodas at the shows. I'll echo Matt, is there a show anywhere where there are lots of acl sodas???

acls

Reaction score
I am bumping this thread. I would really like to get some input on this.

I know in the past I have heard good things about Tulsa, Vegas, St. Louis, and one of the Indianapolis shows. Not sure if these are still good or not. Any thoughts?

acls

Reaction score
I don't have a whole lot of experience with bottle shows. I have been to the Knoxville, TN show 3-4 times over the years, and I went to a show they had once here in Nashville. From the little I've seen Tom is right about the tables full of rare bottles being priced out of most everyone's price range. I have always thought that these sellers really could care less if they sell any of their bottles at the show. They set up so they can socialize and network and get into the show early. I can understand where they are coming from, but it is hard on the collectors like Tom and myself who get to see some great bottles, but don't get the thrill of taking them home to add to the collection.

I have always thought how great it would be to have an ACL only bottle show. If there was a way to drum up enough interest I wouldn't mind organizing one here in Nashville. A guy can dream can't he?

thesodafizz

Reaction score
Now here may be a place I can help, hopefully. I've been to several shows I wouldn't have if it hadn't been to promote the FOHBC. Columbia is a good show for ACLs, but perhaps many have big prices. Many dealers with good bottles set up there (including Pat). But, what I've found is that the price on the bottle isn't always the least they'll take. So, I guess you just have to ask.

Tulsa is a great show for ACLs because many of the serious collectors set up there, such as Milford Anglin and Randee & Sue Kaiser. I plan to attend Tulsa this year if it kills me.

St. Louis is a good show for the same reason as Tulsa. I was amazed at what showed up at the National Show in Collinsville two years ago. Collinsville show was more of my soda collectors than the older glass.

Baltimore is also a good show because Brian Wade is there, along with many others with good prices on some great bottles. I've gotten many good ones from Brian many times. Also, they will often come down from what is on the bottle.

I am friends with Ed Faulkner of the Richmond show. Altho his show comes at a time I hadn't been able to make it in the past, he"s told me many times that there's sodas there galore and has invited me to come.

The Knoxville show used to be good for sodaa, as mentioned. But someone else (other than Larry Acuff that collects sodas) is "doing" it and it's not what it used to be, from what I've heard.

A few years ago, I contacted each show chairman and asked them if their show was a good one for ACL (or soda in general) collectors and included their replies in The Soda Fizz. Things change, and it's been awhile, so seems it is a good time to update that info and do it again.

ALSO, I would be VERY interested in arranging a "Soda Only" show (or shows to cover more areas), with a PSBCA meeting in conjunction. Any suggestions for locations? And we'll get 'er done.

K

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
I've done about every show in the Carolinas and Ga. including E. Tenn.. I've found the Columbia the largest and can usually get something. Then I've gotten something at every show. Since I've changed the direction of my collecting it's really hard to find something new. Atlanta is good, but starts to damn early, 6 AM come on. They say the Greensboro is getting better. TD I know what and who you're talking about w/ those way overpriced bottles. Has 'em at every show. Sometimes he will come down a little. He had an amber N Yer from Atlanta he toted for years priced at 400 sold it for 250. I would have give him that for it. The bottles I had at my table was from shows and ebay I had aquired over the past 8-10 years. The best way to get good bottles is to be in the know, that was'nt hard to figure out. The best way to be in the know is get a table and get there early. Maybe join a club? That's something I have'nt gotten around too, though I prob. will soon. If no other reason to increase my collection.

T D

Reaction score
hey Pat, believe it or not, that table of bottles was actually marked 1/2 price at the Rome show, but a couple of weeks later, they were back to full price at the Columbia show. At 1/2 price there were one or two I almost asked about, but really it was not even close to what I thought they were worth, and nothing that I just had to have (unlike the tri-colored Squeeze I got from you). I'm like you, I'm starting to look for more Ga/Carolina bottles now, but there are definitely acls from all over the country that I would still love to have. I think there is a market for a soda/soda go withs show in the southeast. There are just too many acl collectors out there not to be.

glass man

Reaction score
I DON'T KNOW BOUT NOW ,BUT TEN YEARS AGO I SET UP AT THE ASHVILLE N. C. SHOW AND THE MAJORITY OF BOTTLES WERE ACL. DON'T KNOW IF THEY HAVE A SHOW NOW OR NOT. JUST A THOUGHT.

thesodafizz

Reaction score
From what I've heard, the Asheville show is cancelled for 2009. Why? Location problems and lack of interest from vendors, perhaps. The last location they had it at, I like to have never found, and we were using navigation. But the Asheville show used to be a very good one.....

Ok, I am all for a southeast Soda Bottle Show - any suggestions where?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter