bimal vs. bim w/tooled finish

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crunchtime

Reaction score
Twenty years ago when I was most actively digging bottles we used the term applied top when the bottle had a lip that was made by applying additional glass to the top of the bottle and forming it into the lip with some kind of tool. Newer bottles (1890's - 1905) would have a tooled top finish; No additional glass was added when the bottle maker hand-formed the lip with some kind of tool. I see people all over the net and on ebay referring to tooled finish 1890's -1905 bottles as bimal (Blown In Mold Applied Lip) ... What's up with this? [&:]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi crunch !
It could be just lack of knowledge. They are probably meaning BIM , or they have seen someone else put BIMAL in their description and just followed suit. I have seen a lot of crazy and misleading descriptions on ebay in the past. Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Applied lip : Mouth formed with the addition of glass to the top of the neck.
Tooled lip : Mouth formed with a lipping tool from the glass in the neck as it came from the mold.

crunchtime

Reaction score
Rich,
Completely correct ... extra glass was applied to the bottle after mold separation and a tool was used to form this glass into a lip (bimal). This should not be confused with very early bottles where the extra glass was laid on in a simple ring without the use of any forming tool. Later on bottle makers discovered that they could shear the bottle from the blow pipe higher up from the top of the mold and tool/form this extra glass into the lip without the extra step of applying more glass (not bimal).

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS