BITTERS BOTTLE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

monitor

Reaction score
I WAS WANTING TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO ON A NEW YORK HOP BITTERS BOTTLE ABOUT 26 OUNCES .IN BROWN COLOUR .I WILL TRY TO LEAVE A PHOTO.

If10468.jpg

Attachments

• If10468.jpg
    If10468.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 95

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi monitor, welcome to the forum [:D] .
That is a VERY nice bitters [;)] , it's from an Australian company too dispite it's US sounding name, it will date from around the late 1880's to 1900'ish. They come in a range of colours from aqua (common) to ambers, greens and black, also I've been told about (by a few different people) but never seen a cobalt blue one.
Is your one more green towards the top or is it just the photo ?

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
Hi Monitor

As Irish said, it is an Australian Bitters manufactured by Rock, Tompsett & Co who were based in Melbourne but had distributors in other states. Many Australian companies cashed in on the interest for bitters and produced brand names such as Philadelphia, New York and Frisco - these appealed to the Americans who had come over for the gold rushes (1850-1880's) and settled here.

In terms of rarity/value, it is reasonably hard to get and generally fetches between $700 - 1000 in mint condition.

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi monitor !
Your Australian Semi cabin shaped Bitters is listed in Ring & Ham's Bitters Bottles as a N 28 motif American Flag with 20 stars . 11 stripes / NEW YORK / HOP / BITTERS / COMPANY // f // f // f //
9 1/2" x 2 3/4" ( 7 1/2" ) 3/8
Square , Aqua , LTC , Applied mouth , Common
There is also a sample New York Hop listed as a N 29 that is Very Rare , 3 3/4" x 1 3/16" 1 1/8"( 2 1/2" ) .
Your mold variant ( N 28 ) is listed as Common in Aqua , but it must be consider Very rare to extremely rare in the Green / Brown coloration you have pictured.
I have no listing of anything but Aqua variants selling at the public auction houses here in the States , those sold in the 100.00 - 200.00 dollar range. So , I would say dirranbandi is right on with his estimate if your bottle is in mint / near mint condition. We don't get many of the colored examples here in the U.S. , they seem to stay in Australia with it's collectors. I have only seen a few Green ones here at Shows. And a pic of a Black one that was sent to me by an Australian collector years ago.
Nice Semi cabin Bitters ! Are you interested in selling or just looking for info ? Brian

monitor

Reaction score
Thanks to those that replied to my enquiry regarding the bitters bottle.The bottle is in green colour and not 2 toned as the photo shows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter