Black Codd bottle info....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ade S

Reaction score
Hello,

My father-in-law recently came across this bottle. We' ve had trouble finding any information about either the bottle or the manufacturer.

Front of the bottle has:

HALIFAX & DISTRICT MINERAL WATER MANUFACTURERS ASSOCN LTD
REGISTERED TRADE MARK

and in the centre (date isn' t clear)
ALES XL FAX 1847

and on the rear:
A.D & CO
D

You can *just* see through the bottle if you hold it up to a light - very dark brown colour. The marble appears to be normal clear glass.

Sq46099.jpg

IRISH

Reaction score
What a bottle!
I don' t know a lot about overseas codds but that must just be the absolute cream of codds anywhere.
Sorry I don' t have any info on it but I just had to say something about it [:D] .
Very good find, well done.

Ade S

Reaction score
IRISH,

Thanks ! Until yesterday I didn' t really know much about bottles at all. I' ve spent the last 24 hours trawling all the online resources for information, but I' ve been unable to find anything like this one.

It came in a box of old bottles from a house clearance sale in the UK. Some of the other bottles look intersesting (to me, anyway !)

I' m in Cornwall - does anybody know where I could take these bottles to get an idea of their value ?

Thanks,

Ade

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Black Codd bottle and others info....

Hello and welcome,
You do not have to take your bottles any where if you own a digital camera. You are probably in the best place you can be right here. This forum is viewed by collectors from all over the world. Post some pictures with details, just like you did w/ the codd and hopefully the replies will follow.
I don' t get to see too many codds here in the US, but that is a beauty. Wow, what a nice find! You probably didn' t have to clean it much either. I' d love to see what else was in that box.

Ade S

Reaction score
OK,
There were 13 bottles in the box. As far as I can tell from my novice research they all date from 1870(ish) to 1900(ish) but the range may be narrower. I' ve identified a few of them, but here' s another I' m having trouble with...

Dark green ginger beer (?) bottle with bubbles and imperfections in the glass. The cross section of the bottle is not quite round. The seams in the lip do not meet the seams in the sides of the bottle.

Text on the front:
JAMES STANDRING MANCHESTER AND SALFORD / TRADE MARK

and what looks like it might be a family crest - heraldic type

Text on base of bottle:
F&S Ltd. StH

The ' t' in StH is an underlined capital.

Ade

Mj24348.jpg

Attachments

• Mj24348.jpg
    Mj24348.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 139

IRISH

Reaction score
That' s a beer, they are very nice but most English beers are not worth a lot of money but still a very nice looking bottle.

lost marble

Reaction score
Ade S, You could try taking them to the Bottle Museum at Elsecar they' ll probably give you the good idea on value. Whatever you do don' t part with that black Codd until you' re certain of it' s true value!
The bottle museum seems to be linked with BBR magazine, check out
http://www.bbrauctions.co.uk/

You might also find a helpful link or two at the other British bottle mag:
http://www.abc-ukmag.co.uk/index.htm

And finally there' s a bottle fair in Taunton this Sunday 24th Aug organised by Somerset and Devon bottle club, beware of those dealers though! See you there?!
http://www.sadbottles.co.uk/

Ade S

Reaction score
RE: Taunton fair

lost marble,

Thanks for the links. Taunton is close enough to me, so I' ll probably be there on Sunday if anybody wants to take a look at this bottle.

Cheers,

Ade

Ade S

Reaction score
Th rest of the box

Here' s a collage of the rest of the box. We really don' t know much about any of these bottles, so any hints gratefully received.

Ade

Fd90701.jpg

Attachments

• Fd90701.jpg
    Fd90701.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 157

Ade S

Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah, thanks for that - Alan currently has the bottle. He has told us that he' s certain it' s a fake. We' re waiting for him to send it back to us with some of the black removed (we tried, but obviously weren' t aggressive enough in our attempts)

I post more info here when I have it.

Ade

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen