Black glass?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bhannon

Reaction score
They are ale or beer bottles and the general "look" was made for a very long time. They were probably made in England BUT some similar bottles were also made by American glasshouses - to imitate the standard look of imported British bottles. They are usually of very dark olive green or olive amber glass, so they look "black" when not held up to the light.

They could date from the 1850s into the 1880s, maybe 1890s. In the book about the bottles found on the Steamboat Bertrand that sank on the Missouri River on April 1, 1865, some of the blackglass bottles that were on board, and that were recovered in an expedition in the late 1960s, look somewhat similar to yours.
There are lots of slight differences in the size, height, and how skinny or fat the ale bottles are.

ALSO, on older bottles, maybe before around 1860, a "sand pontil" may not be very obvious. Sometimes there is a pontil but it is barely noticeable, just a circular dished area in the bottom with a somewhat more "sandpapery" texture.

I will attach 3 pictures from the book "The Bertrand Bottles" by Ronald R. Switzer (1974). he wrote the book with information and pics of some of the glass and pottery bottles recovered from an archeological dig of the site.

So, just to keep in mind that every bottle illustrated on these pages existed when the boat sank in April of 1865, and since it took considerable time for bottles to be made, shipped to the company that bottled their product, then filled, possibly shipped again to another destination. and eventually loaded on the steamboat, my guess is that all the bottles shown are AT LEAST from 1864, or very early 1865, if not older.
They are ale or beer bottles and the general "look" was made for a very long time. They were probably made in England BUT some similar bottles were also made by American glasshouses - to imitate the standard look of imported British bottles. They are usually of very dark olive green or olive amber glass, so they look "black" when not held up to the light.

They could date from the 1850s into the 1880s, maybe 1890s. In the book about the bottles found on the Steamboat Bertrand that sank on the Missouri River on April 1, 1865, some of the blackglass bottles that were on board, and that were recovered in an expedition in the late 1960s, look somewhat similar to yours.
There are lots of slight differences in the size, height, and how skinny or fat the ale bottles are.

ALSO, on older bottles, maybe before around 1860, a "sand pontil" may not be very obvious. Sometimes there is a pontil but it is barely noticeable, just a circular dished area in the bottom with a somewhat more "sandpapery" texture.

I will attach 3 pictures from the book "The Bertrand Bottles" by Ronald R. Switzer (1974). he wrote the book with information and pics of some of the glass and pottery bottles recovered from an archeological dig of the site.

So, just to keep in mind that every bottle illustrated on these pages existed when the boat sank in April of 1865, and since it took considerable time for bottles to be made, shipped to the company that bottled their product, then filled, possibly shipped again to another destination. and eventually loaded on the steamboat, my guess is that all the bottles shown are AT LEAST from 1864, or very early 1865, if not older.
WOW that’s pretty great! I have another 20 or so of the assorted “black glass” beers I need to clean but I’m running out of display room. The information is really appreciated as I’m trying to sort through and learn about what I have.
Thanks again!

TROG

Reaction score
If the smaller bottle on the right has a pontil it will date to around 1860 -1870 and would have held Stout, The other 2 bottles are for beer and are from the 1880- 1900 period.

DavidW

Reaction score
WOW that’s pretty great! I have another 20 or so of the assorted “black glass” beers I need to clean but I’m running out of display room. The information is really appreciated as I’m trying to sort through and learn about what I have.
Thanks again!
Bhannon, do you have ANY clues on the possible age of the bottles, such as where you found them, or did you buy them from a bottle digger? Any other items found with them that could shed any light on possible age/origin?
I just wondered because you haven't said anything about how you came to have them in your possession. If a bottle digger found them all together in a certain layer of a privy (for example) he might be able to date them more accurately if he is very experienced, but if they were purchased altogether at a flea market or antique shop there is no telling what their ages are since they could have been gradually collected from various sources over a long period of time. If this makes any sense...........

Bhannon

Reaction score
Bhannon, do you have ANY clues on the possible age of the bottles, such as where you found them, or did you buy them from a bottle digger? Any other items found with them that could shed any light on possible age/origin?
I just wondered because you haven't said anything about how you came to have them in your possession. If a bottle digger found them all together in a certain layer of a privy (for example) he might be able to date them more accurately if he is very experienced, but if they were purchased altogether at a flea market or antique shop there is no telling what their ages are since they could have been gradually collected from various sources over a long period of time. If this makes any sense...........
Sorry for the limited info. Most of the bottles I have and all of the beers/ales were gifted to us after my wife’s grandparents passed away, I talked about it on a different thread. They had been digging and collecting since the late 60s and belonged to a bottling club in New Orleans. They have dug and dealed all over the south lol so it’s hard to say but much of the bottles,jugs,jars were dug. Many of the nicer bottles were bought/traded. These are some of the ones we have out.

Attachments

• ADC3BAF3-FF49-4E51-B2D7-D324F3D1CAAC.jpeg
    ADC3BAF3-FF49-4E51-B2D7-D324F3D1CAAC.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 58C2D2C4-B74A-4702-A94E-AC74F4F8F246.jpeg
    58C2D2C4-B74A-4702-A94E-AC74F4F8F246.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 66

Roy

Reaction score
Sorry for the limited info. Most of the bottles I have and all of the beers/ales were gifted to us after my wife’s grandparents passed away, I talked about it on a different thread. They had been digging and collecting since the late 60s and belonged to a bottling club in New Orleans. They have dug and dealed all over the south lol so it’s hard to say but much of the bottles,jugs,jars were dug. Many of the nicer bottles were bought/traded. These are some of the ones we have out.
Bhannon
Terrific display, great variety, I love it.
Thanks for sharing those pictures.
Roy

TROG

Reaction score
Bhannon, Nice lot of bottles and was wondering if there were any pot lids in the collection. Thanks David

Bhannon

Reaction score
Bhannon, Nice lot of bottles and was wondering if there were any pot lids in the collection. Thanks David
David, there are pots from 1-12 gallons but unfortunately no lids.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese