Blue coke

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

februarystarskc

Reaction score
your absolutely correct Jim, I just hear both terms thrown around. I'll pay more attention from now on. thanks again

ORIGINAL: epackage

Two very different things, the pic cleared it up, thanks for posting them...[;)]

judu

Reaction score
jim , what exactly is the diffrence between tooled top and applied top..i had always just considered it the same thing, just a diffrent way of saying it........

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: judu

jim , what exactly is the diffrence between tooled top and applied top..i had always just considered it the same thing, just a diffrent way of saying it........
From an ebayer...

An applied top is a seperate piece of glass, pressed on to the top of a freshly whetted neck (whetting is the name of the process used to remove the neck of the newly formed bottle, from the blowpipe used to form it in the mold - A special tool (basically designed like long-handled offset pliers) was used to hold and shape the blob of glass into the lip style, and then press it on the still plastic neck (plastic meaning pretty much what it sounds like, the glass was still hot and malleable or workable)

A tooled lip was usually formed in the mold itself, to a slight distance above where the top of the lip would end up. A very similar set of tools (in some cases the SAME ones that were used to apply where used to tool) was then used to encircle the top, and then spun around it to smooth down the jagged edges from whetting, and finish the lip.

A simple way to spot this is that on applied lips, most times there's some measure of drip just under the lip itself, and the mold seams will disappear under the lip. Most times there will be an offset inside the neck where the lip was applied, or a visible (or twisting) line or any combination. Often stretch marks will disappear under an applied lip as well.

With a tooled lip, there's usually circular lines ringing the neck and lip. Also any stretch marks on the neck will stop where the tooling lines start, or at what's called the line of tooling demarcation.

judu

Reaction score
ah , i see...so is an aplied top alot older than a tooled top.......... i had read somewhere that laurens glass works were the last ones to get the abm machines and for a short time--- 6 months or so, maybe less---- that the hobble skirts were made with tooled tops.....the ones i have seen are from anderson sc and columbia sc...others that have no city with either a blank bottom or coca cola in script on the bottom.always an ice blue color....... thanks for the info jim......

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
On applied lips, you can stick your finger down inside the neck and feel where the lip glass meets the bottle glass, too. That sounds sort of dirty... or medical... or serial-killerish.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I think this would be a Applied top wouldn't it? LEON.

C6FF34F4B33244BC9F6E09CE089C3EB8.jpg

Attachments

• C6FF34F4B33244BC9F6E09CE089C3EB8.jpg
    C6FF34F4B33244BC9F6E09CE089C3EB8.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 67

hemihampton

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: pyshodoodle

On applied lips, you can stick your finger down inside the neck and feel where the lip glass meets the bottle glass, too. That sounds sort of dirty... or medical... or serial-killerish.

Do you mean like this one, This one you can see. Or would this be something different? This top slipped over neck of bottle? LEON.

9C4B20A4681E4D0F89DE67033C0C70EB.jpg

Attachments

• 9C4B20A4681E4D0F89DE67033C0C70EB.jpg
    9C4B20A4681E4D0F89DE67033C0C70EB.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 76

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Looks like it to me. Stick your finger in. There will be what feels like a seam where the lip & bottle meet.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Wait - the first one, yes. The 2nd one, now that I'm looking at the picture closer, I'm not quite sure what that is! Get the experts!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1