Blue coke

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: pyshodoodle

Wait - the first one, yes. The 2nd one, now that I'm looking at the picture closer, I'm not quite sure what that is! Get the experts!

The 2nd Pic is from the 1st Pic. LEON.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Scroll to ...

Applied Finishes

Tooled Finishes

http://www.sha.org/bottle/finishes.htm

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
gee - this is why I just stick my fingers inside the bottle! Giant pictures like that - I start questioning what I'm actually looking at![8D]

hemihampton

Reaction score
Are Applied lips or tops hard to find on Crowntops? LEON.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: hemihampton

Are Applied lips or tops hard to find on Crowntops? LEON.

The crown finish was not invented until 1892, which is after the vast majority of U. S. bottle manufacturers were exclusively using the tooled finishing method to form bottle finishes (empirical observations). The author believes that virtually ALL of these applied crown finish bottles were made in the United Kingdom (or elsewhere in Europe) between 1900 (possibly very late 1890s) to the late 1910s or possibly early 1920s. Many were imported into the U. S. for use by American soda/mineral water producers like the bottle pictured [below]. It is a mouth-blown, true two-piece mold, applied crown finish bottle used by a soda manufacturer in New Hampshire in the early 1900s for ginger ale.

8D15322FBCE044F4B6BD2C3EAE5A5A78.jpg

Attachments

• 8D15322FBCE044F4B6BD2C3EAE5A5A78.jpg
    8D15322FBCE044F4B6BD2C3EAE5A5A78.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 74

hemihampton

Reaction score
Yeah, I read that, Mine is not a round bottom soda. Not sure if it's Foreign. Possible. I guess I wanted to know if it would be rare if it was American made. LEON.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Leon ~

Based on my understanding of true applied finish crown's, I believe American examples (non European) are far and few between.

Bob

hemihampton

Reaction score
I did a little research on my bottle & it's a Foriegn bottle or from Britain or U.K. I thought it was American. My Mistake. LEON.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
If American applied crown's exist, I believe they would have been made by extremely small glass factories and not by the major glass manufacturers that were in operation around the turn of the century. At the moment I cannot think of a single American bottle that has an applied crown, although there might be.

Which makes me wonder about what was said earlier regarding Bill Porter providing "a list of applied crown Hobbleskirts." ???

Bob

februarystarskc

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

If American applied crown's exist, I believe they would have been made by extremely small glass factories and not by the major glass manufacturers that were in operation around the turn of the century. At the moment I cannot think of a single American bottle that has an applied crown, although there might be.

Which makes me wonder about what was said earlier regarding Bill Porter providing "a list of applied crown Hobbleskirts." ???

Bob

Well soadapopbob, I checked my email from years ago and bill porter used the term "applied top" hobbleskirts, and he did send me an excel document with three pages of "tooled top" hobbleskirts. I guess we're not all bottle experts.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960