Body invert

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

herenthere

Reaction score
Check out the whittled look. Actually I think someone took a ball peen hammer to the inside of the mold.
http://webpages.charter.net/amronspage/whittled/

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello herenthere; I looked at your bottle pictures and they are certainly a nice example of "COLD MOLD RIPPLE" I don't know if you have visited my homepage or not but this marking in early glass bottles is explained for the purpose of helping bottle collectors and enthusiast realize why the marks show up in early bottles. When the glass is blown in a mold that has not been preheated, the glass distribution of the parison glass blows the pliable hot glass up against the smooth polished inside surface of the mold. The glass is immediately cooled by the mold that is too cold. This causes the glass to form thick and thin waves of ripple in the wall thickness of the formed bottle. Thus light passing through the glass illustrates the difference in the wall thickness that makes it show the ripple. The term whittle is used to describe the day-dream of making potential buyers think it was blown in a whittled wooden mold.
Not so!!! This problem was corrected and almost disappeared, when the glass industry started chilling the mold cavity of the cast iron molds. The dendritic iron changed the heat transfer in the mold and made the mold surface blow smother and uniform in thickness. This happened around 1855 to 1860 in the glass molds used in most of the world for bottles and pressed glass production. RED Matthews

herenthere

Reaction score
Exactly, that is why this was intentionally done to the mold as a design feature, when making the mold. The base and the portion from the neck bulge up is perfectly smooth. The pattern on the body is too evenly dispersed over the entire lower portion to be cold mold ripple. Cold mold ripple is sporadic. This is a beautiful pattern, sort of like the facets on a gem. Of the dozen or so I've seen of this style, this is the only one to date with the faceted feature. This isn't a flaw, this was designed to be faceted. I'm hoping this was some sort of limited edition, sort of like the bottle I have with the mold number on it. I've never seen a figural cologne with a mold number on it, especially on the body where it's easily noticeable. Thanks, Rick

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583