Books??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ed

Reaction score
I love reading all there is to read here . real nice site. And everyone is so helpfull.
I do have some Antque books that cover everything. I need books that tell more. like the info in the bottom of the bottle. What do the letters and numbers mean? Just some good bottle books. I still can't figure out how to get my pictures smaller before posting them. I am used xp home edtion. any help would be appericated. Ed

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
for books you have alot of options,.....
Digger O'dell has prob the best series of books about each type of bottle "Bitters,Meds,Soda,Etc Etc" i forgot his website but if you do a search on yahoo or whatever ya use it will come up....
then theres the Kovels,other than refrence to see if a bottle is listed i wouldnt go by thier prices,abit off sometimes....

then there is all sorts of Trademark/Pat' books out there......

then theres the Bottle Bible,which is called "Bottles" put out by Antique Trader and written by Michael Polak,this book has alot of higher end bottles in it and prices tend to be on track sometimes,also it has alot of info about the glass blowing brocess,and what a Bimal,pontil scar,and alot for me to write.....
just check out your local book store or Amazon.com,....
Kovels have a web site but navagation is hard,......

or you can just ask us here onthe board and we may help...
the numbers and letters could mean differnt things especialy if your overseas and not in the US,usually the marks in the the US are bottle manfacturer,on the right of that would be the date "if post 1900",.....

hope this helps....

Ed

Reaction score
Thanks whitelighting,,, that helps. I have been on Digger O'Dell site. I live southwest of pittsburgh, PA. I didn't go out of my way to dig bottles over the years. But I didn't leave any behind over the years. I need to set down and research my bottles and other stuff. My wife and kids call me a junk picker. But have things are cleaned up Iget a OHHH and AWHHHHH. And this site makes me feel like it is now not later. I do have one bottle I would like to know about. It is 10 inches tall 4 1/2 wide it is a oval bottle and base. It does have a seam up both sides clear up to top. The glass is on the thin side and has a checker glass all thru it. When I have found it before it is always broken. I would belive it to be not that old 1900 on the bottom of the bottle is leftside 25 a diamond like with a circle and a I in the middle. on right is 6 and on bottle in the middle is a 4 . So numbers on left , right , bottom. nothing on top It looks like a cork goes in it. no screw cap for sure. On the front is a spot for a label 3x 5 3/4 If you can help great. This bottle was found in the woods by a old farm. The gound gave a little under by feet. After moving the leaves and branches there was a small dump or not even that. broken bottles old watch pieces maybe a 5 gal bucket of stuff. But this bottle and a few others were not broken. Thanks Ed

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583