Bottle experts - I need your help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LHHScurator

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help with this. I appreciate the time you took to share your expertise!

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

I would say your Southern Glass Co. guess is probably accurate.
It is an early post mold. The lip looks like the thin applied types typical from the midwestern glass houses.
I would guess mid 1870s to early 1880s. That style was typical for patent medicines like Jamaica Gingers.

That picture of the applied collar says mid 1870s to me, agreeing with Matt, so I strongly vote for Southern Glass Co. , their time frame seems to fit best.

dollarbill

Reaction score
That would be Southern Glass Co. Louisville,Ky. With that one being 1880 to 1883 or so. from what I've found .I myself have dug several like the one you have here in my neck of the woods in Ky .There are flasks,wax sealers,gingers like yours and pickels and a few other types of bottle with the same makers mark from this co.The 1880s seem to have been there most productive time to.
bill

RonJonbold

Reaction score
That is a cool looking bottle and learning about old glass is the main reason I'm here. I saw an old advertisement from the Southern Glass Co. a while back; apparently they were an important company in the late 19th century in Kentucky. Here's a link to a PDF with info on them including some pictures of their products that do look a lot like that bottle, albeit newer: http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/LouisvilleGlass2_Whitten.pdf

GuntherHess

Reaction score
4) S.G.Co. (Chemical bottles, wax
sealers, ginger ovals, John J. Smith tonic
bottles)

I think the Ginger ovals would be the bottle in question.

DavidW

Reaction score
LHHS Curator - I just accidentally ran across your post from about 12 years ago! Just wanted to add that yes, that is a typical bottle style that was made by Southern Glass Company of Louisville, KY. The date range is from 1877 to about 1885. They made at least two sizes of those bottles (that I have seen over the years). The smaller size is marked "S.G.W. / LOU. KY." on the bottom and measures about 6 and 3/8ths inches tall. The larger size is marked "S.G.CO." on the bottom and typically measures between 7 & 1/4th inches and 7 and 1/2 inches tall (depending on the applied lip configuration - sometimes it is a bit extended).
Although they are described as "ginger ovals" (similar to the bottles that F. Brown's Jamaica Ginger" were bottled in) in glassmaker catalogs, they were used as "generic" or "all purpose" bottles and I am sure was used for a variety of products by local businesses, including medicines, laundry bluing, cough syrup, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn