Bottle found in garden - picture supplied

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Paul

Reaction score
Hello all,

Firstly. I must confess to not being a collector, but I am curious to find out more about the bottle shown in my picture. I unearthed the item whilst digging in my garden in the village of Wakes Colne near Colchester in Essex. Our home was built in around 1900.

The bottle is made from clear glass, but has a pale blue hue, and the marking 'L & T' on it's base. It appears to be crudely made ( the neck is not straight) and the very top of the lip appears to be missing. The bottle stands about 15cm tall.

I don't imagine there's any value to this bottle, but if I can discover it's original use and a bit more about the manufacturer, it might help me to understand something about the people who've lived here in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Om32625.jpg

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Paul, welcome to the forum. I don't find a L&T in any of my bottle mark references. From the size and shape of it, my best guess would be a late 19th century label only medicine. Possibly an extract. Maybe someone else will be able to either confirm my opinion, or offer another one. Good luck, Kelley

Paul

Reaction score
Kelley,

Thanks for the info. Do bottle markings always refer to the manufacturer, or could it be the stamp of the client company?

Monsonant

Reaction score
Great question about the markings .... They can indicate manufacturer of the contents or a client ..... the manufacturer of the bottle (glassworks) ..... The mold number ... and in more recent times the machine they were being produced on. d..e.a.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1