In my dreams, this cart makes a house call at my place!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
I found this picture during one of my innumerable searches for old pics of our antique bottle past. Many moons ago I found a cart , in about 50' of water, similar to the one pictured here; alas, there wasn't a load of botts on-board! Does anyone else enjoy looking for / collecting pics of our pioneer past?

Attachments

• Old soda delivery.jpg
    Old soda delivery.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 92

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a great picture! Do you know what era it's from? Looks fairly early based on the shape of the bottles. Personally when I'm in antique stores or shows I'm always on the lookout for old photos showing the less-photographed areas of cities and towns. In the cases where the photo isn't marked I like the challenge of trying to figure out what town is depicted as well.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there was no town indicated for this picture; The botts on board l believe are hutches, so the time frame might be the 80’s or 90’s.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there was no town indicated for this picture; The botts on board l believe are hutches, so the time frame might be the 80’s or 90’s.
I found a higher resolution copy of the image, with an attribution to James Matthews of Toronto. The cart reads Toronto Steam Power Soda Factory.
1700613679334.png

The bottles are more visible in this one, the necks are too long to be Hutchinsons, looks like they're these:
1700613742714.png

willong

Reaction score
Does anyone else enjoy looking for / collecting pics of our pioneer past?
Indeed! With more and more archives scanned and accessible on the Internet, the pastime can easily consume an occasional evening, or more :D!

In addition to vintage maps, I am often sharing late 19th century photos of logging camps, mines and vanished towns that were located in the forests of western Washington with another member of this forum. He finds sources that I have not previously viewed, and vise-versa!

I can't help but zoom into those old photographs looking for discarded bottles among the trash that littered the low spots!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
I found a higher resolution copy of the image, with an attribution to James Matthews of Toronto. The cart reads Toronto Steam Power Soda Factory.
View attachment 250944
The bottles are more visible in this one, the necks are too long to be Hutchinsons, looks like they're these:
View attachment 250945
Excellent work, CB! That definitely is a clearer version and I agree with your assessment of the bottle style; it is one of the coolest pics of soda delivery back in the day, methinks.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Indeed! With more and more archives scanned and accessible on the Internet, the pastime can easily consume an occasional evening, or more :D!

In addition to vintage maps, I am often sharing late 19th century photos of logging camps, mines and vanished towns that were located in the forests of western Washington with another member of this forum. He finds sources that I have not previously viewed, and vise-versa!

I can't help but zoom into those old photographs looking for discarded bottles among the trash that littered the low spots!
Haha, abbalootly! These pics can be there own kind of "treasure map", in some instances. Here's another one that just slays me, especially with that delicious river looking so dark and inviting!

Attachments

• Awesome!.jpg
    Awesome!.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 49

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen