bottle lingo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Localized bottle terminology is interesting. I've always called slicks slicks, most people call them that on the forum... But when I was digging with Tom, he pulled out a slick and told me "it's just a pigger". I was like "What?" And he explained that a "pigger" is just an unembossed bottle. Lo and behold, I've heard a few other local diggers call them that. I guess in other areas, the early ones are called "puffs", which is a term I never really understood. There's other examples I don't remember, but each area seems to have its own names for things.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I dont see a forum or posting that lists bottle collecting terminology

Hey AMCS,

Here's a pretty comprehensive GLOSSARY, at a site that I would highly recommend to you, or anyone interested in antique glass.

Historic.jpg

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

Localized bottle terminology is interesting. I've always called slicks slicks, most people call them that on the forum... But when I was digging with Tom, he pulled out a slick and told me "it's just a pigger". I was like "What?" And he explained that a "pigger" is just an unembossed bottle. Lo and behold, I've heard a few other local diggers call them that. I guess in other areas, the early ones are called "puffs", which is a term I never really understood. There's other examples I don't remember, but each area seems to have its own names for things.

Yeah Wheel, we have one of them terms here. We call paper label beer blobs "canukes".[;)]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Localized bottle terminology is interesting. I've always called slicks slicks, most people call them that on the forum...

Canukes?? cool. I always called slicks, "Plain Janes" then sort of just started gradually referring to them as slicks, digging w/ others who did...and seeing it as the most common term here all the time, when I first used to read the term it sounded funny to me. (Slicks)

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Years ago another digger and I made up a glossary of Western Bottle Digger terminology.

capsoda

Reaction score
We used to call them BB targets. That just doesn't seem as funny as it did when I was young. Pigs ans slicks.

I have a buddy who, when he finds them in quantity, calls them *$@(#&%^%*s. [sm=lol.gif]

Stardust

Reaction score
Very funny all the names for bottles I look for all year to bury in my garden for the kids to dig up ~ [:D] I needed a good chuckle tonight ~ Ha ~ ; )

Ratzilla

Reaction score
I've always called the unembossed ones 'puffs' myself, whether or not they were pontilled, but recently we've been calling the turn of the century puffs 'turdifacts'....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960