Bottle Spreadsheet..TYPES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in the process of entering my bottle collection into an Excel spreadsheet [8|] and want to be sure the proper information using the right terminology is used. Not a big deal to change it a bit, as most important is for the information to be universally understood.

The first question is on TYPES; is using just these 6 types too generalized?

Poison, Medicine, Liquor, Household, Food, Soda/Mineral

Thanks for the help,
Barbara

P.S. Edited in:

There will actually be many column headings; planning on addressing them one at a time just to avoid confusion.

Right now those headings are:
Name, Type, Height, Base Shape, Finish, Color, Condition, Embossing, Bottom Marks.

I should have started by asking if those headings are sufficent?!

ktbi

Reaction score
Hey Barbara....You can break it down to a hundred different headings depending on what you collect. Medicine, for example, could be broken into separate headings of: Liver, Kidney, Stomach, Heart, etc. and then again by State, City, Doctor, etc. Same with alcohol into Whiskey, Gin, Western, California, San Francisco, etc again....

I would start with what you have and add columns as you need it. You might want ink as a header also.

Have fun....Ron

medbotls

Reaction score
Hi Barbara. Hopefully, you can add historical flasks and bitters to your categories. Don't forget candy containers, unless you plan to list them under food. Also, do you have any go-withs (signs, boxes, advertising pieces)?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi all of you, It is almost a can of worms to cover the field of bottle descriptions, the components of making them, the tools used, the intended family of products to be delivered, - the list goes too far to comprehend.
Having fun yet?
I have played with these segregating subjects for a long time.
RED Matthews

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
I've used the SCA website as a guide for the information collected, so I'm off to a good start. Thankfully Excel is both searchable and sortable, plus with 'find and replace' it will be easy to change.

I have played with these segregating subjects for a long time.........RED Matthews

What parameters have you found to be the most useful?

Thanks for the ideas,
Barbara

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1