bottle values

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Calbottlegirl

Reaction score
Hi all,
Since there is never a "stupid question", here goes. What books or other periodicals, websites, etc. do you use to come up with bottle values? I look forward to your replies!
Thanks,
Jan

jane8851

Reaction score
Hi Jan,
Closed auctions are a good way to see what bottles are bringing.

My favorite book at the moment is really a book on CD, Antique American Bottles by Matt Knapp. Written by our own GuntherHess here on the forum.

Jane

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
While some books and auction prices are good sources for bottle value, it still remains very subjective and varies from region to region across the US. Western bottles bring higher prices to folks in this area, but are of little interest to most collectors on the other side of the Country. The same can be said for Eastern bottles. They are generally not of interest to us on the "Left Coast". Exceptions , of course, would be quality foods, historicals, some bitters, and patent meds that seem to generate similar collector interest nationwide.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi, calbottlegirl, Well regarding values I have about ten old price books, Kovel's and others. If I find a bottle I am interested in I will see if I can look it up. From there you have to consider the year of the list and multiply it to todays possible value, the condition of the bottle and of course how bad you think you want it. There just isn't any sence in some of the prices people will pay for them. That is why I like the auction route of selling and buying.
My interest isn't to any specific bottle unless it fits into my study program and represents what I a m trying to achive.
Bottles are like any other antique - their value to the other person wants it, is where it will end up. Good luck, RED Matthews

tigue710

Reaction score
you cant just look up a value... there is no price set in stone. It takes years of dealing with, handling and watching bottle sales. A price one day for one bottle might be completely different the next, some values are over inflated while others are under achieved...

Most of the people who talk prices here have handled sold and dealt with many of the bottles, or are experienced in general value with bottles. There are many references, websites, auctions and other resources cross referenced together to find a price for less often seen pieces... Some have never sold on record and you just have to use a reliable intuition.

The best place to start is e-bay, then find some prices from the better auctions houses. Beware though that often prices on e-bay are either very very low or very high. (Not so often the last). The prices realized by the top auction houses are often only brought by the same, and a normal collector would have trouble getting as much money in a private sale, sometimes...

There are many many books out that deal with value, but in most case you do not want to use just one, in fact the more the better!

Like i said there are no real rules... some bottles fall outside of them...

Familiarize your self with color, age, embossing, crudeness, origination and availability and you'll be able to price most bottles on sight in your head, to a degree... it will take a little while though!

I have to agree Matts book is a very valuable resource for medicine bottles...

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey everybody, great insights and advice. I remember when I first started, I was asking collectors what some bottles were worth. I kept getting, "Whatever someone will pay". That kind of answer made the value seem subjective and mystical when I was looking for a simple hard number in US currency. Over time, I realize what they meant. However, when somebody asks me a price nowadays, I try to be a little less subjective and answer with a range of possible values. For example, I would say, "The bottle is fairly rare but because of the damage, collectors will not pay top dollar for it. My guess is between $10 to $30". At least that gives them a feel for it . . .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
My recommendation is build a library of every resource you can. The more data you have the better prepared you will be to judge something you see.
Experience is the most valuable asset and you cant buy that. Everyone here is constantly learning.
You have a better chance starting out if you specialize in one category of bottles, there are so many its tough to learn about them all.
As was said above, you will find no one source to indicate the exact value of a bottle. Some bottles are pretty predictable others are not. One thing that you can learn pretty fast is to pick out a valuable bottle versus junk bottles on a flea market table and that can be a lot of fun.

madpaddla

Reaction score
In this economy things are rough on all. My dad, more novice then I (still a novice), asked a reputable guy who tumbles thousands of bottles a year a question similar to this: Given the current economy etc. how have bottle prices been doing? The gents response.......he has seen bottle prices go up recently and expects that in general .....the smaller value bottles have increased. While the large dollar items have remained consistent.

On a side note....Guntherhess cd of medicine bottle values...is simply the best resource I have seen. It is up to date and current. His guide is the best on the market. He is a resource to this forum and has given his guide to many for free. It is the best money spent. It is the bible of medicine bottles. If I had a wish ....it is that he would do a mineral water, ink, stoneware, and food guide. It is the BIBLE of values. Thanks for your work and generosity with this Matt.

5B753BF9970346648BC9A3E5F00C11C3.jpg

Attachments

• 5B753BF9970346648BC9A3E5F00C11C3.jpg
    5B753BF9970346648BC9A3E5F00C11C3.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 59

GuntherHess

Reaction score
If I had a wish ....it is that he would do a mineral water, ink, stoneware, and food guide.

Please dont wish that on me Mr Paddla[;)] After doing one I have to say I'll let other people handle the other catagories. Dont have the time Digger ODell has.
But thanks for the good words.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28