Brevard County Power Company Bottle 1924-1927

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jocelyne

Reaction score
Please help me if you can. My husband found an old 8-10 oz heavy glass soda or water bottle (looks like an old coke bottle) with a slight green tint with the inscription in a circular pattern of "Brevard County Power Company" The words Power Company are upside down. After speaking online with "Ask a Librarian" they gave me more info through this website. <Edit: Malformed link>The bottle might have come from the Brevard County Power Company (BCPC) plant in Melbourne,FL.
The Brevard Co. Power Co. began in June of 1923 with the purchase of the old Cocoa Ice & Electric Co., founded in 1911. BCPC supplied the power to communities from Sharpes to Palm Bay, including Melbourne Beach and those on Merritt Island, until it was purchased by FPL on April 1, 1926. BCPC was located in Cocoa, on Factory St. between Florida Ave. and Brevard Ave. Brevard Ave. was the FEC Ry. line at the time. The plant was destroyed by a tropical storm in July, 1926. The Southern Bell telephone exchange sits on the site today. Most electric plants of the time had an associated ice factory and, sometimes, a bottling works. The Melbourne Ice & Bottling Co. began production of Chero-Cola and other soda waters in Oct. 1921. It became the Melbourne Utilities Co. in 1922, and was purchased by BCPC in April 1924. The plant was located along Seminole Ave. at the FEC tracks behind the present ice house (on U.S. 1). Even though Melbourne, FL, began receiving electricity from the Cocoa, FL, BCPC plant in Oct. 1924, the Melbourne plant was kept on stand-by. The building was torn down sometime between 1926 and 1930. The present ice house was built by FP&L and produced ice, not electricity, beginning in August of 1927. So...my guess is the bottle was made between 1924 and 1927. The serial number at the bottle of the bottle is 2362e624. Since it ends in 24 it may have been bottled in 1924. Please tell me what you think this bottle is worth for its historical value

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles