The Goshen City Bottling Company

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

gdog68

Reaction score
Hello, I am posting to share a little history of this company
1000001555.jpg

These are some examples of early bottles from this company.

"The Goshen City Bottling Works was founded by George Wohlford at 409 S. 3rd St. in Goshen in 1908. They moved to 508 S. 3rd St. At that time George Wohlford’s son, Roy, was president of the company. In 1933 , 508 S. 3rd housed both the Goshen Bottling Works and the Coca Cola Bottling Works. The companies merged into the stronger Coca Cola Company and then moved to a new building at 320 N. Main St.

The following is a copy of what was included in a 1915 booklet entitled “Good Goods from Goshen, Indiana”…

R. E. Wohlford is manager of the Bottling Co. and has been in the business for over ten years. The company has been located in Goshen for four years. The company has been in their present location for two years. The company purchased the building and entirely rebuilt it, making a thoroughly up-to-date bottling plant.

The plant is equipped with the most modern machinery and bottling appliances for the manufacture of their beverages. The sanitary conditions are of the best, and their method of bottling is absolutely clean, so that the Goshen City Bottling Co. .guarantees the purity and absolute cleanness of their beverages.

The company is engaged in the manufacture of carbonated beverages, commonly called soda water, and more commonly known as soft drinks. These are made in all flavors, the company specializing on Ginger Ale. They are exclusive bottling agents for Elkhart County of the Hire’s Root Beer, In addition they have 12 other beverages.

Mr. Wohlford is an expert in this line of work and mixes all of his own syrups and guarantees their purity. The company enjoys a heavy business not only in this county but in adjoining counties."
Source
Goshen Historical Society, 26 Feb. 2024, goshenhistorical.org/.

Here are some images of the Coca Cola Bottling plant located in Goshen

Images used from the Goshen Historical Museum collection.
Goshen Historical Society, 26 Feb. 2024, goshenhistorical.org/.

1709843336273.png
New plant on north main street

Old plant behind South Third Street
1000001572.jpg

1000001573.jpg
1000001574.jpg

Here is an image of a Goshen Indiana Coca cola bottle.

Hope you enjoy reading some history about this company and thanks to the Goshen Historical Society for giving and allowing me to use information to create this post.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Nice job Gdog68. I especially liked the photos of the old and new Coke plants in the land of Goshen. --Keeping working with the local historical societies and they'll help you find answers. Usually free too. :cool:

gdog68

Reaction score
Thanks Len, yes they were awsome with providing information. I have been to the museum before and they have alot of history, I would recommend a visit if your ever in the Goshen / Elkhart area.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds great. If ever I'm passing through I will. Also, I be remiss if I didn't invite you to GHS in Goshen, Conn. --One has to wonder how many Goshens there are in North America?:)

gdog68

Reaction score
Alot of towns names are used in many different states, funnily enough when I went to providence ri, I drove through Torrington CT then Hartford, not to far from Goshen, If I am ever out east again I will swing by Goshen conn.

Reactions: Len

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen