Bromo Drug Co. bottle, rare?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
Here`s a little Bromo Drug Co. bottle I dug up years ago. I`m not a big fan of Bromo Seltzers, but this one is obviously from the same co. and maybe the forerunner to them. I`ve never seen another one, I was wondering if this thing is rare or is there another part of the country where they are all over the place? Does anyone know any of the history behind it? It`s a pretty little bottle anyways, whether it`s rare or not. It only stands 2 5/8" tall and is blown by hand.

04A56435F3454B9ABC0FBA0ACA1B9E53.jpg

Attachments

• 04A56435F3454B9ABC0FBA0ACA1B9E53.jpg
    04A56435F3454B9ABC0FBA0ACA1B9E53.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 77

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Bromo Drug Co.

Bromo-seltzer was made by the Emerson Drug Company. Your bottle was made by the Bromo Drug Co. which I beleive was a separate company operating at the same time.
Not sure they related at all. Some of the Baltimore people probably know more.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Matt,
That is a great insight. I would have thought for sure that it was just a mold variant or something. To call yourself the BROMO drug company with that bottle and from Baltimore! TheEmmerson drug company must have been furious. It is a worse rip off than Koka Nola.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I'm thinking Matt is right about that, this being a copy-cat company. The Baltimore book lists yours as uncommon but also lists a four inch size as rare. There should be some of yours around although I don't recall seeing one on ebay but tons of the others. The book also has U.S.A. under MD., I don't see that on yours?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
There were a number of "Bromo" medicines at the end of the 19th century. They were named for the bromide compounds they contained. Emerson trade marked the BromoSeltzer name but the Bromo part was a generic term just like pepto or other chemical names.

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
Thanks a lot you guys! It never occurred to me that it wasn`t the same company as the common Bromo bottles. It seems that whatever you want to know, someone here will have the answer!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1