byrd antarctic expedition 1928 1929

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dollarbill

Reaction score
found a bottel at a dig on the ohio river bank the other day it is 5an 3/4in tall 2an 1/8 in with bottle has an airplain embossed on the top then under that it says BYRD then under that is antarctic then underthat is the dates 1928 192then under that is expedition on the bottom of the bottle is a square with a 0 in it then it says WENS WITH A 2 over the top of that will post a pic as soon as i can any info would be appreciate

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hello Dollarbill, Welcome to the forum [;)]. Your bottle sounds interesting. A photo would be great. What color is it? Does it have the words, "FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR RE-USE OF THIS BOTTLE" embossed on it anywhere? Thanks

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey diggermeister thanks for the reply. there is no fed law forbids. hope this pics load

Db86220.jpg

Attachments

• Db86220.jpg
    Db86220.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 59

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey $Bill, I think we can rule out liquor bottle. It is really nice though [sm=lol.gif]!It seems to have a stopper (cork) type closure. A little strange for a non liquor from the period. I'm wondering if, rather than a commemerative, it is perhaps a bottle used for the expedition itself. But, I suppose that is a real long shot. I'm sorry I'm not more help. You really got my curiosity stirred up with this one. I'll try a little research and get back to you.
btw: If you use the right amount of backlighting when photographing embossed bottles it really shows off the details nicely. You can see more on this technique in the "Photographing and Displaying" forum in a thread from a month or so ago (Photographimg Bottles?).

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi dollarbill, neat bottle. the o in a square is the owens bottling co. 1903-1929. that makes the bottle made at the time of the expedition. rhona

dollarbill

Reaction score
hey thanks all your right diggermiester it was a specimen bottle how it end up on the ohio river bank is gotta be a good one uh. thanks all for you time an replys i posted what i found out about it in another posting thank yall agian bill

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter