Can You Ever Make SOME Bottle Collectors/Customers Happy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dugbottles

Reaction score
Sharing A Great Post from My Good friend Mac

Now, here’s a thought for those of you who have ever sold bottles through the mail- eBay, Etsy,collector to collector, etc. etc. Many times you just cannot make the buyer happy. My health is fairly poor right now; and not likely to get much better…BUT I am trying to sell off a portion of my collection- so that when I go “Beyond the Sunsetâ€, my lovely wife to be (Sept 28th is the date for the funeral- oops, I mean wedding) doesn’t have to deal with hundreds, and hundreds of common bottles. She does know who gets most of the collection, as soon as I start taking my dirt nap, but I digress.
Have you ever had this happen to you? You have a bottle you want to sell. Of course, your immediate reaction is horror- WHAT ?? Sell one of my children, one of my cherished and well loved monuments of over rated sand and a few elements?? You reason, well, money is needed, and I guess I have to part with this one, no matter how much I like it. That will leave me with only about 899 bottles left. It IS a CRUEL and unjust World, when we have to use this practice to put bread on the table.
OK, Sometimes you clean it, sometimes not. (MANY COLLECTORS WANT THE OPALESCENT AND THE IRIDESCENT PATINA, RUST, HAZING, CALCIUM BUILD UP, WHATEVER) You take a dozen or so pics of it. Then, you put it under a very high powered light, and use glasses and an ultra strong magnification device and look for what else? Those nasty unwanted cracks, chips, nicks, fleabites,scratches,nasty, nasty unresolved dirt and soil issues, and write them down. You add all of that to the description and hopefully, you have been as honest as you possibly can. I have cataracts, so I ave The War Dept., Natalie, double check me.
Well, recently, I had an ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY MINT– and somewhat scarce –beauty… I quality double checked it, triple checked it, as did Natalie…. and probably checked it one more time before I went online. I mean, this bottle was perfect, not even a mar. When I got the sale, I wrote the collector, thanking them for the sale, giving them the tracking number, and so on.
3 weeks later, the collector writes back, and they have mysteriously found a big chip in the lip.
Now, isn’t that odd? I KNOW it wasn’t there when I shipped- and I package so well, my customers say my wrapping “would survive a war zoneâ€
What to do, he wants to know. At this point in my life, I would just as soon tell the buyer what I would REALLY like them to do,but you have to be so !@#$%^&*()_+ diplomatic on eBay.
So, I issue this person a total refund and send a couple of other really cool, more valuable that the first bottle.
“Oh, you shouldn’t have done THATâ€, comes the out of state reply. Well, I was thinking of my rating on eBay, which I ritualistically work to preserve at 100%.
Now, I am not suggesting that some of our fellow bottle collectors are dishonest. I am just saying that sometimes these little- almost minute-defects show up on a piece of beauty when they arrive at a home across the nation- despite layers of wrapping. How Odd!!
Somebody wrote- although they gave me positive feedback- that I over package. Well, DUH!! Maybe this inexperienced dude doesn’t realize how the gorillas in the Post Office throw the boxes around- I swear just for laughs. The more you label it FRAGILE, or GLASS, the more it is singled out for the USPS Hazing. “They have burned me once- shame on them, If I let them burn me the second time, shame on me.â€
What it really amounts to- not that they are MUCH better, is that I would gladly use UPS, if they weren’t so doggoned expensive.
What’s a Bottle Collector to do? Forge on, keep digging, keep collecting, keep your cool, and know that there are just some true morons out there than you can never make happy- because they want to make a buck off of you, or take one away from you. Worse yet, they take your cherished bottles.
Peace to ou all,
‘The Old Sarge,Mad Macâ€
mad Macc

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Sounds like someone with little experience selling.
If it had any appreciable value then it should have been insured and there would have been no controversy.

TROG

Reaction score
No mail service will insure glass or china against breakage or damage and will only cover if the item is lost

ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

Sounds like someone with little experience selling.
If it had any appreciable value then it should have been insured and there would have been no controversy.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: TROG

No mail service will insure glass or china against breakage or damage and will only cover if the item is lost

Not true in the USA. From the USPS website ...

Insure your item for up to $5,000 against loss or damage. The price is based on the declared value.

I have personally had a $500 bottle break in the mail and got a refund.
You do have to surrender the item to the PO.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen