Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Chestnut Bott Pontiled but izit real??

Jim B

May 8, 2020
Got this recently out middle of nowhere small town auction house.
Much controversy in facebook groups as to if it's real or not.
Presumed to be made tween 1750-1850....freeblown open pontil.
Tons of bubbles.....wonky and don't sit flat lotta crudeness.
One recently sold on ebay by a seller of many years with 9000 all positive feedback for $170!
4 bidders fought over it.
I find zero references that this was ever reproduced in recent years.
Interested in expert opinion on this one

Attachments

nhpharm

Apr 24, 2007
I had one of these a few years ago. It had a bit of base wear, the slightly flattened sides, the solid bar pontil, and the gloppy lip as well as a ton of big bubbles. Having handled a lot of chestnuts over the years, my gut told me there was something wrong with it. It just didn't seem quite right. I feel they are reproductions, but I can't prove it.

Jim B

May 8, 2020
I had one of these a few years ago. It had a bit of base wear, the slightly flattened sides, the solid bar pontil, and the gloppy lip as well as a ton of big bubbles. Having handled a lot of chestnuts over the years, my gut told me there was something wrong with it. It just didn't seem quite right. I feel they are reproductions, but I can't prove it.
Been hearing this.
Only ref for old glass I have are some case Gins.
One goes back to 1750 but they are totally diff glass mix but the crudeness is there.
Wern't some of the Chestnuts wrapped kinda like a Demijohn or some of the other bottles of the time?

Jim B

May 8, 2020
This in an example of a swirl, there are other similar bottles that were Dutch from the same period. Ca. 1840s
Again another bottle that so clean people have a hard time accepting them as real.
Is it really possible to get a bottle from this time period with minimal wear?
I do realize many collectors tumble and have ways of cleaning.

sandchip

Sep 1, 2008
Georgia
My gut says the same. Real, yes. Old, no.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pyro.insulators