civil war bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hoosier49er

Reaction score
Hello all! I am a civil war reenactor with the 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. (I also collect Ball jars [:D]) Here's my situation, soldiers in the civil war drank.....a lot. I don't drink, and most of the guys in my unit don't drink either, but some of us thought it might be neat if we had the period correct bottles/flasks/whatevers to portray this. I'm not very hip to what would have been common to the alcoholics of the 1860's, but usually anything containing the words "civil war" tends to be expensive. Can anybody point me in the right direction of where I can obtain these without going to the poor-house?
Thanks in advance,
Pvt. John P. Snell
Co. F, 49th IV
Joe

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi John...

See member named "pontiled", aka Mike Russell... Very knowledgeable about civil war glass...

Ron

edgray61

Reaction score
John, I am a bottle and relic hunter and have spent lots of time digging in battlefield dumps. The whisky bottles were usually 3 piece mold. The black glass ale bottles were also common and these usually are 3 peice mold also. Both are common and sell for less than $15. I will try to remember to take a photo this weekend and post monday. Tks, Ed

Pontiled

Reaction score
Okay John, this is Mike Russell, coming a bit late! I've seen a lot of bottles offered as Civil War, but most are late. You can get some information in my book, while they are available. It is the latest, and last edition available (Third Edition). If you, or any other diggers are interested, I am offering it at $16.00 plus shipping of either $2.00 book rate or $4.00 Priority Mail. It is listed at $20.00 plus other charges or more, depending on the dealer.

Drop me an e-mail at RELICSHOP@NCOL.NET and let's get together.

Hoosier49er

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response,
I use my work computer, no internet at home[X(]. Thanks for the info! I see a lot of guys in other units using "modern" glass, and in my opinion, it just looks extremely out of place. While I'm on the subject, did the ale and whiskey bottles have lables on them or just embossing? If they had labels, is there a place where reproductions can be purchased?
Thanks again!
Joe,
aka Pvt. John P. Snell

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28