Clay cups?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madman

Reaction score
heres some wierd clay things ive found any info on these mike

Db86082.jpg

<Subject changed from 21 question marks to words>

Attachments

• Db86082.jpg
    Db86082.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 56

madman

Reaction score
RE: ?????????????????????

here the base

Ay73530.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73530.jpg
    Ay73530.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 63

madman

Reaction score

and here is someone who had to get in the picture aww

Ig11795.jpg

IRISH

Reaction score

They may be some sort of crucible ? the outside of them looks a bit like the stoneware gold crucibles are made of.

diggerjeff

Reaction score

i have 6 of these that i have dug over the years. i really am not sure what they are either, but i was told by a 92 year old lady that they held nesting material for canaries(budgies). they were wired iinto the cage by a small piece of wire through the hole.

Pontiled

Reaction score

I've had quite a few of these. They were called "whiskey dippers" by some, meaning they are about the size for a shot of whiskey. Others called them canary water bottles to give your canary a drink of water by being wired to the cage. Most of the people thought they were whiskey dippers, which makes a bit more sense. All of them were glazed on the inside to keep the liquid from leaking out through the porous clay.

Whatever you believe, they are cute antique things! All were dug from late-1800 sites.

Bluebelle

Reaction score
What a beautiful example of felix domesticus, aka felix catus! Maybe he or she smelled those long-gone canaries [;)]

madman

Reaction score
hey every one thanks for the info!! the canary water dish sounds like a winner mabey after the bird croaked they used it for a shot glass? hey bluebell yes shed like to have a canary for a snack thanks mike

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey madman -
Try contacting the site below and give it a look through. I refer to this site quite often for small unknown glass objects. I like the ideas above and some on this site have holes in them too.

The one on the right holds the best clue, other than the holes. It's flat on the side of the hole or tiedown. This would draw or make the container close and tight to cage. Just an idea. The person from the link below may help. Keep in mind, that site seems to have a UK URL. The best of luck findin' out.

http://uk.geocities.com/male_linedanceruk/

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1