Cleaning Benningtons

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Just wondering if its ok to throw them in muriatic,I've got a couple with rust on them. I searched the back posts nothing on cleaning or a tri colored one This ones got a brown,green,white thing going on. Thanks again... DD

45A07EC6CFF34289A106010701C4D62F.jpg

Attachments

• 45A07EC6CFF34289A106010701C4D62F.jpg
    45A07EC6CFF34289A106010701C4D62F.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 96

Road Dog

Reaction score
I'd steer clear of the acid. Take a kitchen knife and using the knife and pointer finger lightly go across the marble. Not a cutting motion, but parallel to the surface to scrape. The glaze is hard enough it will be o.k.

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Thanks, I heard you can use it on crocks wasn't shur about these. That big brown ones pretty messed up. ...DD

Plumbata

Reaction score
Why not soak it in oxalic acid? Or CLR? Muriatic doesn't help much with tenacious rust, in my experience. Very pretty marble BTW, I've only found a few bennies with that kind of coloration, but man they are sweet looking! Hard to beat.

Be very careful when soaking crocks/jugs. The unglazed portions are porous and can soak up a decent bit of liquid. I'd imagine way more porous than the marbles would be, anyway. Back in my more inexperienced days i soaked a gallon jug in diluted muriatic in a bucket, then rinsed and dried it off and put it on the family's antique baby grand piano... Moved it a few days later and was dismayed to see a big white circle of eaten-up varnish the size of the base of the jug. [:mad:] Didn't do that again, lol.

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
I'll just leave them out in the open where the off-sping will find them. They seem to enjoy cleaning rings,coins,bottles and about anything else I find. ... Allways wondered how they came out. DD

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter