Cleaning Bottle Insides

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

58froggy

Reaction score
I have frequently used fish bowl gravel or small round 'pea' gravel. Works great and doesn't scratch.

newtothebottleworld

Reaction score
You guys will probably think i am nuts,but i use oven cleaner on a lot of tough stains.Mostly the residue from leftover contents.I had a couple of bottles that had a film all over the inside that looked and felt like tar.I took some oven cleaner and sprayed it in the bottles and let it set for 5 minutes or so,and then rinsed with plenty of water.Make sure you do this outside though because the fumes are pretty tough.Also if you have any salt glazed stoneware that has been painted over,you can use oven cleaner on it and make light work out of removing the paint.

youngpup

Reaction score
How do you guys think hydrochloric acid would work? If it would...how should i dilute it?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Diluted Hydrochloric acid is sold as Muratic acid. Its mostly good for stuff like calcium deposits. Dilute it as it states on the container.

barbieheid

Reaction score
Kitty Litter, a bottle brush and some good ol' fashioned elbow grease will work to clean out a lot of the gunk from inside bottles. Just be sure you don't buy "clumping" kitty litter![:'(]
[/quote]

Another great tip I got from someone is number 6 buckshot. Just put some in a shake it around, gets most little corners, etc. I don't know if you have to have a gun permit to buy shells though; this batch was given to me. If you know a hunter, ask him for some.

youngpup

Reaction score
Yea...my hydrochloric acid is pure.....from a chem lab...i wasn't sure if it'd hurt my bottles or not

pixmc

Reaction score
Howdo new bottle buddies!

Bottle brush substitute:
New member responding to an old post. I'm drooling over your tumblers! I clean the insides of my bottles with all those spices I never cook with. On this little Bixby ink I used coriander but some very stained bottles I use Lime-Away (just in case it works better, I'm not actually sure) instead of water and a large and small seed mix like coriander and poppy and shake. Usual shaketime is less than a minute due to my attention span. Not a glorious result but always an improvement. Hope that helps!

Pixmc

Ca82818.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete