Cleaning Bottle Insides

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: youngpup

Yea...my hydrochloric acid is pure.....from a chem lab...i wasn't sure if it'd hurt my bottles or not

HCL won't damage glass, but it will damage bottle collectors so you should dilute it. It can be diluted with water, just "do what you oughta; add the acid to the watta" rather than the other way around. I think that's so that if it splashes it's mostly water rather than acid that flies.

The lead shot, salt and cleanser mix gently shaken for a while in the bottle has always worked well for me, just make sure it's real lead shot. I wouldn't open shells to get it, because A: that can be dangerous, and B: lead shot is illegal most places these days and so you will probably end up with steel or copper shot, which can very easily break a bottle (trust me, I know...[:mad:])

A good place to find real lead shot is soft dive weights, they are full of them. I bet the bottom of Wayne's boat is full of them too, since real divers' gear is always somewhat trashed and lead shot is one of the first things to start leaking [:D]

Sean

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Sean... I know what you mean...

I was into and out of my weightbelts so often, I wore through several of the "shot" type weight belt bags. Lead pellets all over the place and they got stuck in everything!![:eek:]
I'm back to solid lead weights and harnesses...

You can try any outdoors, hunting type of outlet Like Cabella, Kittery Trading Post, and LL Beans. Look them up on line. They have access to the lead pellets. Shooting supply stores. You can buy them in bulk. I think You can use them in shot for target practice, but you just can't hunt with them.

Wayne

lmtae2

Reaction score
Always Add Acid--That is so when there is a reaction with the water, usually heat, you do not blow the house up, or lab as I work in. Think of it this way. If you add a drp of water to a cup of acid, the whole cup is reacting, adding acid to a cup of water a little at a time will only react the amount of acid actually poured into the water. Hope this clears things up.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85